SIXTEEN (ISELEN POV)

"I don't like it..." Ruby growls while rummaging in the trunks and I stay near the witch fire trying not to freeze because I'm only wearing my underwear.

"I know, you've already said it..." I whisper tiredly. "I don't want to go either."

I sigh staring at the green flames, lost in my thought while the assassin keeps grumbling on the other side of the room: my first week in Baalberith has been crazy, full of exhausting ordeals, and today will be another one of those days when my sanity and endurance will be tested, apparently. Everything is different and terrifying here, more difficult than I ever imagined, I wouldn't last a minute without Ruby... Sometimes I wonder if I've made the right choice, if I wouldn't be happier living in the light elves' kingdom despite having to put up with Kevan's arrogance and my new bosses' disdain, but my lover swears everything will be easier for me once I'm settled, when I start working in my projects seriously and the Queen can show my progress to her subjects. Once I leave behind all these "first times" and the lifestyle and behaviour of the dark elves will stop being a continuous shock for me.

Today will be my first time visiting the Temple and it'll be hard, the assassin has been trying to prepare me for what's coming next but she believes it's too soon for me to confront Helien and her acolytes in the City of Witches, and I think she's right but we can't turn down an invitation from Ruby's mother herself: Shurien, the Queen of Intrigue and the most loyal servant of the High Priestess... as long as it suits her interest, according to her own daughter, it appears that we can't trust this witch. In fact, the assassin looks more nervous today than the day we talked to the Queen and that makes me even more anxious. I wish we could stay in our rooms, enjoying some free time finally after working hard these past days and maybe taking a bath together like we did the first night in Baalberith.

"It's not practical for your slaves to carry buckets of hot water upstairs every time you want to fill this massive bathtub... It takes too long," I mumble leaning back on her chest and she chuckles near my ear.

"And what's the alternative?" Her arms enclose my waist and the colours of her fascinating tattoos shine on her wet skin under the candle light.

"That wall... The bedroom fireplace is on the other side and the wall is quite thick, we could open a hole, covering it with metal panels or glazed ceramic and channel the rain water from the roof, the witch fire would keep the water hot inside the tank always and you'd only need to turn on the tap to fill the bathtub."

"I understand..." The assassin leaves a sweet kiss on my neck and sighs. "Now I know why the Queen wanted to bring you to our kingdom, I think there's a high chance that the nobles will stop trying to kill you if they learn that they'll have hot water always available thanks to you..."

"I'm hungry..." I smile turning in her arms to take a piece of bread and a chunk of cheese from the small table next to the bathtub. I'm happy I was able to fix things with Ruby, my companion looks way more relaxed, warmer with me, she's more patient and has stopped frowning at me every time I speak. She's almost behaving like the funny and naughty girl I met in Ingstad and sex has been mindblowing, as always. In fact, I have to admit that deep inside I'm happy she's in charge of protecting me and not one of the Queen's scary acolytes but I've learnt my lesson: Ruby Rose is the closest thing I have to an ally in this kingdom and, if she gets mad at me for whatever reason, I won't be able to survive not even for one minute, so I'd better keep her satisfied.

"Hand me my glass of wine, do you remember what I told you?"

"I can only eat what the Black Guard's servants bring to our room, what you give me personally or what I randomly pick out from the King and Queen's communal table... otherwise I could be poisoned..."