FIVE (RUBY POV)

"It's a perfect day to go hunting, not too hot, this ride through the forest was a wonderful idea... Madam..."

"It's even better thanks to your company," I answer kindly without a second thought and the head of the Council smiles flattered.

"As you can see, there's a varied wildlife in the woods around the city and we can get all kinds of fancy fur that the ladies of your Court will love, from fox to sable..." The guy keeps talking nonstop while other members of the Council nod approvingly, talking about their preferences in clothes, and I try my best not to roll my eyes. I feel hot, even under the tree branches that provide some fresh shades, and I'm getting a headache because of the noise the entourage is making. I don't understand how this group is able to hunt anything, all animals must be running away desperate when hearing this commotion: they're talking and laughing out loud, horses are snorting, servants are cursing when mules refuse to keep walking and axles of carts that carry food, tents and drinks are creaking nonstop.

To be honest, the idea of organizing a hunting party was just an excuse to get the members of the Council out of the city, even those who are too fat to ride a horse are sitting comfortably on carts covered with pillows that follow us making a hell of a noise. They think this is a funny picnic but it's a new way to get closer to Iselen for me. The damned wizard intends to keep her away from me overloading her with work but he can't do it if his bosses aren't in the city. I bet Kevan has complained firmly but it was useless and the head of the Council forced him to come today, my enemy isn't happy at all with this situation judging by the burn I feel on my back every time he fixes his eyes on me although I'm really happy with the development of events. Iselen rides her horse next to the wizard's one and I can also feel her eyes traveling all over my body while I keep my back straight on the saddle, handling the reins skilfully. Everything goes according to the plan.

"This forest is a lovely place, have you ever think of building a hunting lodge? You wouldn't have to carry all those tents or equipment, you could even stay overnight and turning it into a weekend house to escape from the stress of everyday life in the city." The head of the Council stares at me baffled for a minute while the gears in his brain roll, he opens his eyes wide like my suggestion is the best thing he's ever heard.

"Kevan! Come here, I want to talk to you..." I put gentle pressure on my horse sides with my knees, forcing the animal to slow down its pace in order to stay behind them, while I smile mischievously in my mind. Yes, Kevan, get closer and bear the insufferable small talk of that stupid bureaucrat while I lure your adviser into my trap. The wizard gets caught in a conversation he can't avoid in less than two minutes, surrounded by wealthy merchants thrilled with the idea of building weekend houses in the woods around Ingstad, and I ride slowly near Iselen while our knees almost graze and I feel her eyes raking my body from head to toe.

"You're good at this..." she whispers and I look back at her puzzled, has she noticed my machinations? "Your body posture is perfect, you ride pretty well... I didn't know there were horses in Baalberith, I thought it was too cold and rumour has it..."

"What?" I encourage her to keep talking when I realize she's biting her lower lip, worried in case she's said too much.

"I don't know, people talk about giant reptiles and strange winged creatures... It sounds like things coming from those tales the old ladies of the city tell to their grandchildren because they want to scare them to stop them from going out every night." I smile mischievously again before whispering.

"You should listen to those old ladies, it's dangerous outside at night given that demons exist and strange winged creatures love to eat tender meat from delicious young girls..." Iselen stares at me scared but also like she suspects I'm making fun of her.