FOUR (ISELEN POV)

Here we are again, in the great hall, all the torches are lit and the gold thread in tapestries shines like it's new. It's getting colder because Baalberith's cruel winter is coming, it's already snowing outside and, even if my underfloor heating works very well, it's not enough to keep such a big room warm and the Queen has told the servants to light all fireplaces too. It's obvious that My Lady wants to make clear that this is a special party, not a normal meeting, and even the slaves working in the fortress got new uniforms to wear while waiting patiently for the signal to pour wine for the guests.

The entire Court is here wearing their fanciest outfits, silk and velvet dresses, amazing jewels, cloaks lined with fur, shiny and light chain mails over the perfect bodies of the Brides of the God of War, the Black Guard carries heavier weapons and they keep a straight face while waiting behind their Captain for their turn to swear allegiance to their new princess. Helien's acolytes wear clean clothes too, the small garments that cover their breasts and hips are not stained with the blood of sacrifices. I can't help smiling in my head thinking that we all look like a million bucks, ready to pose for a magazine cover... only there aren't magazines in this world... or cameras.

Actually, we're here to bow our heads respectfully before Eldire under the watchful eye of the Lady of the Dark Elves. The girl is standing right next to her mother's throne, wearing a beautiful blue tunic and good quality jewels although not sumptuous, her dark blonde hair is up in a ponytail with some braided locks in the style of Baalberith's corsairs. She remains silent, with a straight face, she doesn't show anxiety, boredom or shyness, nor arrogance or a triumphant grin. Both her outfit and attitude are neutral, she seems polite and elegant, and doesn't give any clue about her intentions for the near future, about her personality or what kind of behaviour we could expect from her.

And it means dark elves are confused because they're used to the King's coldness, the Queen's indifference, Helien's contempt, Sryne's arrogance, the Guard Captain's pride... they can understand and identify all those emotions and they give them clues about how to deal with the nobles that are senior in rank to them. No one dares to speak to the King if he doesn't grant permission, they're respectful to the Queen and fear her fury because she's a powerful sorceress, they also fear Helien but know that a generous donation to her temple is able to soften her attitude a little, they admire Sryne and her girl's skills and nobles know that the Captain can joke with other warriors sometimes.

Eldire, on the contrary, is a mystery that keeps the Court holding their breaths. They know she's got the Queen's favour and that means she's a powerful lady in this world but has shown no signs of how she's going to use her influence. What will she do from now on? If she decides to join the temple as an acolyte, Helien would score an important point, the same Sryne would do if she prefers to join the God's Brides. If she decides to get married to a boy, or a girl, from a noble family... that clan would jump to the first place in the Court ranking. If she chooses a Black Guard as her lover, the Captain would have a new spy in the Queen's tower in the most coveted position to snoop around.

And this is why Eldire's attitude is perfect. She keeps a balance while everybody is waiting for her next movement, she watches us quietly, studying us and learning. She won't move any piece on the court chessboard till knowing that's the right decision, the movement from which she can get the most benefit without risking to provoke her mother's anger. She's a smart woman, too intelligent given that she was an elven girl who grew up protected in Ariel's forest with fake parents that tried to keep her away from magic, weapons, palace machinations or any other thing that could be linked to her real mother.

"I don't buy it," I think while watching Helien getting closer to the thrones in order to bow her head and to be introduced to the new princess officially. Baalberith is dark, cold, dangerous and hostile: what happens in this kingdom, the way the citizens behave, the way they worship their gods... That could cause a shock to any foreigner, no matter if they're humans or light elves. It's impossible to keep a perfect poise and not make mistakes, not having a nervous breakdown or nightmares, not getting depressed... No one is that strong, except for the dark elves who survived childhood years here, of course. I screwed up many times and I'm grateful because the best assassin in this world was watching my back.