35. He Hates Me

Camila holds Shawn’s hand in hers as they walk with their suitcases to meet her grandfather, who is supposed to pick them up from the airport. She finally sees him waiting for them and breathes in relief when she sees her grandmother as well. The drive back to the house is a long one, so it was a good thing her grandma was there to make things less awkward. Her grandma hugs her tightly and does the same with Shawn right after, like that wasn’t the first time they were meeting. Camila introduces them to Shawn and she can see by the handshake her grandpa gives him that he’s very suspicious of her boyfriend.

 “ Camila, he’s so tall and handsome!” Her grandma says, complementing Shawn in every way possible and making Camila laugh while Shawn blushes a little.

 Shawn tries to keep up with all the questions and information coming from her grandma and Camila thinks it’s the sweetest how he seems to be really making an effort. The drive of over an hour is filled with talking and Camila inserts herself in the conversation too, so her grandma doesn’t overwhelm Shawn. Her grandpa is very quiet the whole time and she tries to include him a few times, but he doesn’t seem that interested. She knew he would be resistant to her bringing Shawn, but she hopes that goes away once they get to know each other better.

 Once Camila sees the house she grew up in and the car finally stops in the driveway, she can’t help looking at Shawn to see his reaction. They step out of the car and she watches as he looks around, like he’s trying to take in every little piece of her that comes from that place. She smiles at him when their eyes meet and he squeezes her hand before kissing her cheek and going to help her grandfather with their suitcases. Camila walks to the front porch, where her grandma is standing with a big smile after seeing their little interaction, so she rolls her eyes with a small laugh before opening the front door.

 “ I like him.” Her grandma whispers to her as they enter the house, Shawn and her grandpa just behind them with the suitcases.

 “ I know.” Camila whispers back with a laugh before looking back at Shawn. “ Come on, I’ll give a tour of the house.”

 Camila starts upstairs so they can place their things in her room, which is the last one she shows him. He looks curiously at the bedroom she grew up in and she feels a little nervous at first as he stares at all the posters of broadway musicals on her walls and her bed with a teddy bear over the pillows. He walks to the bed and sits down at the edge of the mattress, looking at her with a smile as she walks to him.

 “ I like your room.” He says, grabbing her waist and making her sit on his lap, her arms going around his neck. “ It’s like a little part of you frozen in time.”

 “ What do you think of them?” Camila asks, referring to her grandparents that were downstairs.

 “ Your grandma is really nice.” Shawn says and Camila laughs.

 “ She talks a lot.” Camila says and he laughs with her.

 “ Yeah, she does.” He agrees, making her laugh harder. “ And I think she liked me.”

 “ Oh, she adores you already.” Camila kisses his cheek with a smile.

 “ Your grandpa, on the other hand, hates me.” He whispers, not wanting them to hear him. 

 “ What? No, he doesn’t hate you.” Camila protests. “ He just doesn’t know you yet.”

 “ I’m sleeping in here with you, right?” Shawn asks, looking at their suitcases close to the door.

 “ Yes, of course.” She smiles.

 “ Does he know that?” Shawn asks with concern. “ He’s going to kill me. I can feel that.”