36. Around Town

Camila looks down at their joined hands and rests her head on Shawn's arm as they walk down the street, her other hand caressing his forearm as he laughs at the stories she tells him from when she was younger. It was Christmas Eve and she decided to show him around town before the snow got too heavy. They had breakfast with her grandparents and Shawn helped her grandma make pancakes, making the older woman love him even more. Her grandpa didn’t talk much this morning and Camila knew he was still uncomfortable with the idea of Shawn being there and specially staying in her bedroom with her, but she knew him, he would get over it eventually. Maybe she should just have a conversation with him.

 The two of them go to her favorite milkshake place even though the weather it’s too cold for that and take seats side by side in a booth. Shawn insisted he wanted to see all the things that were special to her in that town, even if that meant freezing while taking milkshakes in the middle of winter. 

 They cuddle in the booth while trying to ignore the cold and Camila feels a little weird that these people that saw her grow up are seeing her with Shawn. The same happens as they walk down the street and in every store they walk in, people know her because it’s a small town and also because everyone around there knows her grandparents, so of course people seem to be watching her and Shawn all the time. It’s the weirdest feeling, like her two lives are finally colliding, the one she just started in New York and the one she left behind in this small town.

 The grocery store is a little crowded when they walk in to buy some stuff her grandma asked for and Shawn helps her get all the items in the list. Just like Thanksgiving, they’re having guests for dinner, but this time is her extended family. She has an aunt she barely sees over the years coming over with her husband and two daughters, cousins that Camila hasn’t seen in ages. Her grandma was excited that they would have the house full for Christmas this year. 

 She’s choosing some apples when her eyes notice someone a few feet from her. She quickly looks down when she realizes who that is. Mike, the guy who used to make fun of her in high school is right there, looking down at the fruits and vegetables like he’s bored. Camila knows he’s going to college out of town because her grandma told her, so he’s probably there for the holidays just like her.

 Shawn is at the other side of the store, taking care of the first half of the list her grandma wrote down, so Camila tries to walk away without letting Mike see her. She’s not sure why, but if Shawn was there with her she might have even talked to him, but all by herself, she feels kind of intimated.

 “ Juliet, is that you?” She hears his voice as soon as she turns around. The nickname doesn't exactly brings her happy memories.

 “ Hey.” Camila turns around and tries to smile, but seeing him bring back the stuff she hated the most about that place. She doesn’t even bother correcting him when he doesn’t say her actual name. He knows her name, he just likes to get on her nerves.

 “ I thought you were in New York.” He says, walking closer to her, but leaving a good amount of space so she doesn’t feel uncomfortable.

 “ It’s Christmas.” She simply says, discreetly looking around while trying to find Shawn.

 “ Right.” He smiles at her. “ Are you staying for long? Maybe we could meet up sometime.”

 Camila blinks several times, staring at him like he was going insane. Was he actually asking how long she was staying in town and if she wanted to meet with him? It was obvious by his tone of voice that he was suggesting something.

 “ Just for a week.” Camila tells him, not really sure what he’ll do with that information. She fixes her glasses and sighs in relief when she sees Shawn walking to where they are.