41. Your Choice

Even if she felt freaked out at the time, the incident with the condom two days before had actually got Camila’s head off things for a little bit. She was actually a lot more relaxed about the opening night for Carrie in five days after getting that big of a scare, almost like it reminded her she should just enjoy the experience instead of worrying so much, and of course, it did make her laugh whenever she remembered her and Shawn desperately trying to find the lost condom.

 The sun was just setting when she walked out of the building where her last class of the day had taken place, so she quickly checked the time on her phone before walking to where her rehearsal was happening. When she looked up though, she froze in place for a few seconds, watching the man who was looking at her with his back rested against a black limousine. She thought about maybe ignoring him and just keep walking, but he had already seen her and was clearly expecting her to talk to him.

 “ Mr. Mendes?” Camila says with hesitation. She hadn’t seen him since dinner at New Year’s Eve two months ago. “ Can I help you with anything?”

 “ Actually you can, Camila.” She didn’t like the way he pronounced her name, like he thought she was inferior or something. “ Why don’t I give you a ride and we can talk?”

 Camila looks at him in suspicion as he motions to the limousine behind him. She doesn’t want to be in that car with him or hear what he has to say.

 “ That’s really not necessary.” She smiles politely. “ I should go or I’ll be late.”

 “ I insist.” He repeats, opening the back door and waiting for her to get in. “ Besides, this is about Shawn, so I know you’ll want to hear it.”

 She’s scared to get in, but she’s also curious about what he needs to talk to her regarding Shawn, so she gets into the limousine. She immediately starts regretting her decision though, the way he’s looking at her making her feel very uncomfortable.

 “ I’m going straight to the point, Camila.” He says as the driver takes the car out of the parking spot. “ I need you to break up with Shawn.”

 Camila looks at him like the man has just gone insane.

 “ No, thanks.” She frowns when he laughs at her answer.

 “ Okay, let me make this clearer.” He crosses his arms across his chest and looks at her in an intimidating way. “ I’m not asking you to break up with my son. I’m telling you it’s of your best interest to do so.”

 “ And why is that?” Camila asks, letting a small laugh escape her lips. She just can’t believe what she’s hearing.

 “ You probably noticed by now that Shawn doesn’t have a job.” Camila just stares at him, trying to understand where he’s going with this. “ In fact, he has quite an expensive lifestyle for a college student. Who do you think pays for that beautiful apartment he lives in or his college tuition?”

 “ I’m sorry, but are you seriously telling me you're about to cut your son off if I don’t break up with him?” Camila asks in disbelief.

 “ You’re smart after all.” He smiles at her. “ It’s your choice, sweetheart.”

 “ Why are you doing this?” Camila stares at the window and notices the driver just stopped in front of the building where her rehearsal is happening, even if she didn’t say a word about where she was going. Has he been following her? He clearly knows her schedule.

 “ You encourage his dreams too much.” He simply said before the driver was outside opening the door for her to get out. “ And don’t even think about telling him. I’ll know if you do and I won’t be happy about it.”

 Camila steps out of the limousine and watches in shock as the car leaves, trying to process what the hell just happened. She knew this man had done terrible things, but she somehow had hoped he would get better and try to be a decent father for Shawn. She couldn't be more wrong.

 She was distracted the whole time during rehearsals and had to apologize for messing up the same scene over and over, but the things Shawn’s father told her wouldn’t leave her mind. She wasn’t stupid, she wasn’t just going to break up with him. That was ridiculous. But she also wasn’t sure how to tell him what just happened, not because she was scared of his father’s threats, but because she knew Shawn would be really angry. Part of her did worry about his father cutting him off, but she didn’t think that was the end of the world. People get jobs everyday and she knew he would agree with her that their relationship was more important than the money his father gives him.

 She was supposed to go to this apartment, but instead she texted him that she was too tired and headed back to the dorm. Hailee was passed out on her bed, so Camila just tried to do the same while overthinking everything that happened. When Shawn called her, she didn’t answer. She wouldn’t be able to lie to him if she heard his voice and this was something she should tell him in person. She just needed some time to process it, but most of all, she was just avoiding his reaction.