42.

W I L L I A M

How do you stare into the eyes of someone you hate? How do you stare into the eyes of someone whom you want to hurt?

"Will?" I blink rapidly and look around at my staff of five looking at me.

"How did you feel about the project proposals for the transportation sector?"

"They're fine, let's go with Blazie's proposal and contact the local municipalities to coordinate conducting site evaluations." They nod their heads.
"Sir don't forget about your six o'clock appointment." Leo, my newly hired assistant, politely adds, I nod my head.

Phoenix whips his head to me. "There wasn't a record of a six o'clock appoint in this weeks schedule."

I flatten my tie. "It's a private appointment."

"I'm your chief of staff. you don't have any personal appointment without me knowing."

"It's private Phoenix." I raise my tone and he backs away.

I collect more of my files and turn to head out. "So personal Emani knows?" He counters.

I turn around and he stands up taller. He's pushing my buttons and for no reason. I step closer to him where our faces are inches apart. "No and she's not gonna know."

Phoenix is shocked by my sudden tone. "You okay Will?"

"Yeah." I say readjusting myself and grabbing my briefcase. "This is just an important meeting and I'm a bit nervous for it. I'll feel better once it's over." I walk out of the conference room into my office and close the door behind me. A look at the clock and I have an hour left. The tightening in my chest grows stronger and I grip the edge of my desk to breathe.

It's gonna be okay William. It won't take long and it will all soon be over.

I strictly instructed Leo that everyone has to leave at five and no one can stay overtime. I'm grateful to know I can count on him as cars file out of the parking lot one by one. Phoenix's silver Lexus was the first to dart out. I'm bad at keeping things from him and will have to explain this soon.

You should've told him to begin with, he could've helped you.

As much as Phoenix is like a brother to me, he can't fight my battles for me. Especially when it comes to people I care about.

"Sir, Mr. Jason Harris is here to see you." Leo's voice bellows through the door. My face whips to the clock on the wall and it's 5:30. Shit he's early.

"Is anyone still in the office Leo?" I ask.

"No sir,"

I crack my knuckles. "Come in then." The door opens as Leo holds it as a tall lightskin man walks up from behind Leo directly in front of me.

"Ah Mr. Harrington, or Governor Harrington, it's an honor to have the time to speak with you." He holds out his hand. There's no time to process anything as Leo is still standing in the room so I take Jason's hand and shake it.

"No problem Mr. Harris," I quickly remove my hand. "Leo thank you and you're free to go." I nod to him.

He blinks rapidly, he usually stays for all my meetings so this is new for him. "Are you sure Governor Harrington?"

"Yes, have a good night." He hesitantly nods and closes the door behind him.

I unbutton my jacket and sit down in my chair. Jason looks around the room with an impressed look on his face. "Nice office you got here Governor"