36.

E M A N I

Layers and baggage. You never know a person's whole story. I thought I had some bumps in the road but William has had whole hills. Now I'm not sure what to think about him because how can this man have been through so much when you think he's had it all.

I walk aimlessly through the house. After our conversation in the movie theater I couldn't sleep. I just kep replaying it in my mind and couldn't stop over analyzing every interaction I had with Sarah. I pass what was once an empty wall in the hallway filled with my decor and photos from our wedding. The wedding photos truly look good. It makes this house look familial. When we were at the store and I saw John, I regretted ever locking eyes with him. I knew once we made eye contact with each other I had to go say something to him. It would make things weird if I had didn't. As soon I started talking to John it wasn't the same anymore. I was disinterested and wanted to go back to Will. But still, with or without John, I need to go back to focusing on myself. I check my phone to check the time. Almost 3 am. and there are over 60 unread messages and notifications. All from everyone who attended Will's surprise party. Phoenix posted pictures from the photographer's website and everyone looks like they had a good time. All except one.

Sarah had been physically and mentally abused growing up and she wild out in college. She almost got hurt, but Will swooped in and protected her like the prince charming he is. They had been together on and off ever since. That's what Sarah meant when she said that he saved her. From her jealousy and dependency it's clear that her demons are still haunting her and I hope she can find her peace.

My fuzzy socks tread the warm hardwood floor softly as I walk back to the kitchen. My sweet tooth cravings have me in need of something good so I heat some hot water and begin to make hot chocolate.

"Emani how many cavities have you had in your life?"

My body freezes as if I've been caught in a lucrative act. I shyly turn around to him. He's leaning against the door cooly as he rubs the tiredness out of his eyes.

"Did I wake you?"

"No I couldn't sleep I-" His mouth widens and a yawn escapes his lips. I eye him up and down. He's in a long sleeve gray tee with plaid blur pajama pants. The tee fits him so well, highlighting his lean and muscular upper body. I tug at my shirt feeling bummy in my oversize sweatpants and big t-shirt that says "Rindley House Fire Company 0128"

The tea kettle whistles loudly I spin back around to turn the stove off. "Would you like some hot chocolate?"

"No thank you." He responds,

"Are you sure?" Not believing his answer.

"No." I grin and grab another mug from the cabinets. I pour hot chocolate into Will's Georgetown mug and in my "Hello Beautiful" mug. I place 3 marshmallows in each drink and light sprinkle cinnamon on the top.

William's eyes are more open now and he shakes his head smiling while accepting the hot cocoa. "Always the perfectionist even when making hot cocoa at 3am"

"Cooking is an art form." I say proudly, while raising my mug to him. We both bring the drink to our mouths but I pause and wait for William.

3-2—

"Shit!" William brings the drink away from him, the hot cocoa burning the tip of his tongue.

"Sorry still hot." I feign innocence. Will scowls at me and I laugh. He can't help but smile at me and suddenly takes my hand and leads me out of the kitchen. He keeps walking without saying anything.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"It's late and we're going to wait for the cocoa to cool off." He leads me up the stairs turning right at the top of the stairs. Meaning we're not going to my room. My heart beats fast unsure of what his plan is, and what I want his plan to be.