44.

E M A N I

Two hours worth of silence is no type of fun. It's the type of silence that you feel like you did something wrong but you have no idea what it was you did wrong.
Will's knuckles had never looked so pale while gripping the steering wheel. His jaw was clenched the entire time too. I was worried and afraid at what got him so tight. We finally get home and he auickly turns off the engine and leaves.

"Will?" I ask, taking the first step. 

"Yeah Emani." Even the way he said my name held bitterness and I couldn't swallow that down.

"I'm not sure what you're upset about but I'm sorry for whatever I did and if I ignored you at my mom's birthday party."

"You were helping out your family the whole time don't apologize for that." He says without turning to look at me still.

Surprised by his answer. "Well then why are you upset?"

"I've just been thinking about work stuff that's bothering me. I'll see you upstairs Emani." Will trudges uptairs. I don't believe him but before I can go after him my phone rings. The caller I.D. reads a number from Philadelphia. It's the same location I've been getting missed calls from last week but they never left a message.

"Hello?"

"Mani—" I hang up the phone. The phone buzzes again, if I ignore it he'll keep calling. I answer with a slur of words already strung up to tell him off.

"Please don't hang up."

"Jason, I will call the police again."

"Look I know but I really need your help."'His voice was quavering and Jason's voice never quavers. I know because this man commits himself to not showing weakness or looking small. Not since his Dad passed away when we were young.

"Are you okay?" Something in my gut made me feel like something was wrong.

"Emani, I wouldn't be asking you this if it wasn't urgent." He says before sniffling. Has he been crying? "But could you please come to Philly tonight?"
♠️♠️♠️
My heart will be my biggest downfall. My immediate urge to always help people. My inevitable savior complex.

That's why I'm on a bus right now at 10pm at night on my way to Philly. Everything in me is telling me that this is a terrible idea and that I'm the dumbest bitch on earth. Trusting someone who's let me down time and time again and hurt me to no end. But the way Jason sounded on the phone, I knew something was wrong. His vouce was hoarse and trembling the whole time on the phone.He said he would pay for my ticket there and back and would nevertry to contact me again if I came. Him saying all that, this wasn't about us at all. I ran through a list of his family members in my head who coulx be hurt or worse.

I should've called for backup but I didn't want to put anyone at risk or in harns way. I also didn't want them to talk me out of it. My phone rings again for the 7th time but it's Jasmine so I answer.

"Hey Jasmine."

"You are the dumbest bitch on earth." Jasmine shouts into the phone. See. "Why does your location say that you're on some highway in New Jersey?"

"Because I am. I'm on my way to Philly."

"What?!" Jasmine screams. "At 10 fucking pm at night E? Do you know how many calls I've gotten from Will? I am not some 411 dispatch line."

"I honestly thought he was sleeping right now slash he was still mad at me."

"Emani Marie Williams why the fuck are you going to Philly?" When she emphasized the word fuck and I knew she was talking with her hands into the phone.