17.

W I L L I A M

As the primary election draws near, our campaign has been in full swing. We've been at the office back-to-back. When we're not in the office, we've been at rallies, forums, and meeting with people. Phoenix thought it would be a good idea to take a break and invited Emani and me to lunch. With all the business at work, I've barely spoken to Emani since the fight. We see each other when needed be but besides that, that's it. I know she's still seeing Jon. She's been really discreet about it, but I still know. I've been too focused on the primary election to say anything about it.

I look at my watch and roll my eyes. "8:30!" I shout upstairs.

E M A N I

I lay across on my bed staring blankly at the ceiling.

"8:30!" William shouts. I slowly let out a sigh. Phoenix invited William and me to brunch with him and Jasmine. We're supposed to be leaving at 8:45 and I'm still in my pajamas. It's not that I don't want to go, I just don't have the energy to get ready. From William's campaign to running the center, I've been busy a lot. Thankfully, I've gotten used to the chaoticness of everything.

"Emani you better be down here in ten minutes or I'll leave without you." Not appreciating William's attitude, I decide to get ready. I go with a black V-Neck shirt, jeans, and booties. I take the opportunity to wear my new Tan Suede Coat I bought from Nordstrom

Rack of course.

I grab my purse and hopefully, I didn't forget anything else.

"Two minutes!"

"I'm here, I'm ready," I yell back. William comes into view as I descend down the stairs. He's gazing at his phone. His eyebrows are furrowed at his screen and his jaw is clenched. He's clearly upset at whatever is on his phone screen.

"Eyes up Mr. Harrington," I say and his head bobs up in response. "Who told you to wear the same thing as me?" William is wearing the same colored coat as me with a simple white v-neck shirt, light gray pants, and nice loafers. He puts his phone in his pocket and I see the glimmer of a Michael Kors watch.

William shrugs with an easy smile. His eyes follow my head. "Are you gonna wear your hair like that?"

"Shit." I knew I forgot to do something, the other night I put my hair in Bantu knots. "I'll be right back."

"Emani." William groans.

I turn around and run up the stairs. "All I have to do is take these out."

"Words of every woman before taking another hour." William mumbles.

"I heard that" I yell at the top of the stairs heavily out of breath. "These stairs are no joke," I mumble. I return in forty-five minutes with my hair done and some light makeup on. William stares at me when I get back but he doesn't say anything. He walks towards the door and I follow him.

The mood has changed and I can't tell if it's a good change or bad change. William is the hardest person I've come across to read. One minute he's happy the next he's a grumpy 40-year-old man. I've given up on the idea of William and I being friends. You think everything is okay and then something happens and it's World War Z. His idea of an ideal relationship is unrealistic because this is nowhere near a normal relationship. His stubborn ass won't take the time to realize that. The most frustrating part is that I keep hoping things will change, but they never do. We arrive at the restaurant and are seated at our table. There are two empty seats. William looks at the menu as I'm about to take Jasmine.

"Don't worry they're on their way," William says. I put my phone down and proceed to read the menu. Ten minutes later, Phoenix and Jasmine arrive.

"You're late," I say.