38.

W I L L I A M

Seeing her on my doorstop, a bad feeling emerged in my gut. "Sarah what are you doing here?"

"I'm here for game night." She smiles softly. "I even brought snacks." She holds up a Trader Joes grocery bag. It's filled to the rim as I see Boom Chicka Pop popcorn peaking at the top.

"Oh." I look behind me in direction to the living room. "I wasn't expecting you to be here."

"I know, Emani invited me the first two times but I declined. I finished my exam early so I thought I'd swing by." She sways from side to side out of nervousness. She looks casual with no weapons hidden under her. She's in a gray sweater, camo joggers and white vans.

I scratch the back of my neck. "Ok yeah sure come in. We're playing HeadsUp! right now."

"Oh I love that game." She perks up as she follows me into the living room.

"Hey everyone, Sarah's here." I announce walking into the room. Sarah waves at everyone while they just smile in response. Phoenix mutters something under his breath that makes Jasmine hit him. After acknowledging Sarah, Emani makes eye contact with me. Her eyes makes me uncomfortable, is she waiting for me to do something? Unsure of what she wants me to do, I stuff my hands in my pockets and look down.

"Sarah I'm glad you could finally make it," Emani pipes up. "I can take those for you." She walks over and grabs the bag and heads to the kitchen.

"Sarah it's good to see you." Mom opens up her arms.

"Nice to see you too Ms.Katelyn" Sarah goes to give my mom a hug. I take my seat back at the loveseat. After greating my parents Sarah walks across and sits next to me. At the same time, Emani enters with a tray of snacks. She halts, staring at her previous seat, she continues walking before prople noticed her standing in place for too long. But I noticed. She places the tray down at the table. She's too focused on the snacks to see me looking at her. She grabs a bowl, spins around with her back to me and takes her seat opposite Jasmine on the couch.

"Thanks Emani and Sarah for the snacks." Phoenix says before digging in.

"No problem." They both say at the same time. Emani doesn't acknowledge the synchronous and throws popcorn into my mouth. I look at my parents and they both share a look of concern.

"Sarah you can go since you just came." Jasmine offers, handing her the phone.

"What's the score I need to beat?" She asks.

"18." Emani answers in monotone.

"You ready?" Sarah holds out her hand. I hesitate for a second before slapping it and standing up. Sarah is cheery and smiling but I can't return the favor. I look behind her for Emani and she is scrolling through her phone.

Jasmine turns to her. "Hey no phones at game night. You know your own rules."

"Right sorry." Emani puts it back in her pocket and eats more of the popcorn. Her expressions are blank and I can't read her. She won't let me.

Sarah and I begin and our topic is Places. We relieve old memories as we play this round. "I'm scared of heights so I'd never want to visit there."

"Grand Canyon." I answer.

"Your favorite park."

"Yellowstone."

"We both threw up after only eating fish for a week."

I laugh. "Bahamas." The phone buzzes. I check the score.

Shit. "20." I say quickly glancing at Emani. Sarah squeals and wraps her arms around me but I don't hug her back.