39.

E M A N I

There are three light knocks on the door before a "Emani can we come in?"

In my head I respond with a no but I don't say anything, hoping Mrs. Harrington would get the message. Mrs. Harrington being a Harrington acknowledges the silent response but opens the door anyway. If we're being honest, a second later Jasmine would've barged the door open for dramatics. The weight of the bed shifts as they sit on it. I try not to move hoping that they will genuinely think that I'm asleep.

"Emani I will walk over to the other side. Bend down and stare at you right in the face until you flinch." Jasmine always has her way with words.

From her tone, I knew she was serious. With no other options, I turn my body around towards them. I don't know what it is but when they see me something about their demeanor changes. It's like both their bodies sighed at the same time.

"Are you okay?" Mrs. Harrington places a gentle hand on my leg. I want to lie, but that still won't get them to leave me alone.

"No, not really." I rest my head on my hands atop my pillow. "I didn't think it'd be this hard, sharing him with someone else." I make eye contact with them but they don't say anything else for me to continue.

"It's not just anybody, but Will's girlfriend and the woman he should be with right now."

Jasmine shakes her head. "I don't think you can compare the relationship you have with Will to what he has with Sarah."

"But you can't help but compare." I protest. "Everything we've done, they've probably done already. When he's not with me, he's out with her. I'm an obligation while she's the elective. Will and I have been hanging out more yes, but it's still like out of having to work together. If I wasn't here right now—"

"If you weren't here right now," Mrs. Harrington interrupts me as she gripped my leg tighter. She sighs and drops her head low before releasing her hand. "William is finally becoming the person he was meant to be, that wouldn't have happened without you."

"Well duh a politician." Jasmine rolls her eyes.

Mrs. Harrington shakes her head in response and chuckles. "No, a person who enjoys life and loves loudly. Fear, shame and self-hate has clouded him for so long, but you." She looks at me and for the first time I realize that William has his mothers eyes. "Helped him become less blind."

I smile partly. "I appreciate the kind words Mrs. Harrington, but I would just like to point out that you didn't like me in the beginning. During wedding rehearsals you were rude to my parents and to me. Now things are different since I made your little boy less blind, that doesn't make me feel good about myself. It only makes me feel like I'm only important when I am beneficial to this families' needs."

Mrs. Harrington nods her head. "I misjudged you. I never apologized for that but here am I apologizing now. I'm sorry Emani. I wasn't supportive of this arrangement but it was all my husband's idea and he had the final word. It wasn't until later when I realized how genuine and authentic you are. I also didn't get to thank you.." She smiles. "My husband goes to game nights rather than going to the office." She says before laughing.

"May I just add one more thing?" Jasmine sticks her neck out. We both turn to Jasmine who had been leaning against the wall.

"Emani do you remember that time you went to see an old friend." Jasmine stresses.

"Yeah." I answered warily.

"And then you waited at my apartment for will to come get you?" Where is she going with this?

"Yeah?"

"Well that night when he came and carried you, I saw something that shocked me. There was this glimmer in his eyes while he was holding you. He was looking at you like he didn't want to let you go and he didn't wanna ruin this moment. He looked like you were his everything." 

"Jasmine, what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that white boy is in love with you."

W I L L I A M

Things never go the way I want it to go. The phone call ended with lots of shouting and repeated 'Are you okay?"'s from Phoenix. Maybe I should've waited until the morning to ask them. Maybe I should have thought more through what I was trying to ask.

Maybe I shouldn't have said it in the first place.

It's late, but I go to check on Emsni. I crack open the door slowly and peak in. Emani's back is to me and she's curled up underneath the covers.

"Emani?" I test to see if she's awake.

"Yesh Will?"

Damn that was quick. Her voice doesn't sound raspy or tired so she must've been up this whole time. "Are you okay?"

She turns around to me. "Yeah I'm fine, I talked things over with your mom and Jazz and feel better." It's too dark to really read her face to see if she's being honest or not.

"Oh okay that's good." Silence fills the air and I debate whether to ask the next question. "Are you coming to bed?"

"Do you want me to come to bed?" She rebutes.

Why is she making me say this? Just do better William, learn from your mistakes. "Yes, yes I do." Emani sits up from the bed. She stretches her arms before letting out a small yawn and putting her slippers on. She gravitates towards me and loops her arm through mine. Her body nuzzles against me as she shivers. It is starting to get colder in house but I always like appreciate  the moments of her being close to me.

"I thought you were going to say no." I say as we exited the room.

"You said you wanted me there, so here I am."

"Wasn't sure how upset you would be." I comment lowly, unsure if she's still upset.

"Not upset anymore." Emani shrugs. "Is Sarah okay though?"

"I think she's better now, she just let everything off her chest." I respond before giving her the full story. "Sarah was upset that I hadn't slept in my room together since we got the house. Initially she thought it was because of her but that was because she never knew the whole story. Once we bought the house—."

Emani stops in her tracks. "Wait so you and Sarah bought this house together?"

Shit. Just be honest, just be honest. "No, the house is under my name and I bought it. But Sarah helped me choose it and the plan was she'd move in after finishing her law degree."

"Damn" That was just supposed to be her but I heard her say it under her breath.

"Wait but—" I try to reach for her but she backs away and puts her hands up.

"Also, you're a grown ass man in this big ass house and you can't sleep in a room that you bought? That is some of the most privileged shit I have ever heard."

"Emani?" I wasn't expecting that.

The sleepiness that was in her eyes ran away and she's fully alert. Eyebrows furrowed, vision narrow dead at me. Whatever this is, Emani is pissed. "It is so aggravating to witness all of this and sometimes I feel like I'm living in a soap opera. You live in a house that could house 12 people. Your guests could have guests. Will I'm not denouncing your anxiety or your mental health issues, but for fuckings sake please look past the bubble you're in." Shes shouts. "There are people dying and hustling every damn day just to put food on the table. People like me just trying to do something right and get a running in the race. "

"Emani-"

"Get over your problems and get your ass in bed." She points to my door. "2 years my ass, it's got to be some joke." She stomps to who knows where and I know she'll be upset in the morning.

See? Things never go as planned.