15.

There wasn't a predictable thing about her.

W I L L I A M

Sweet aromas greet my nose as I enter the house with Sarah behind me.

"Something smells really good." Sarah says and I just reply with nod. I'm more intrigued to where the smell is coming from. I follow the smell to the kitchen. Eggs, Bacon, Cinnamon Rolls, and Oranges are on the kitchen table. Emani is mindlessly humming as she places another plate on the table. Her eyes quickly glances in our direction then her attention turns to us.

"Oh good you're here." She smiles, which catches me by surprise.

"What is all this?" I ask.

"Well, this is a consolation prize for my rude behavior before. I knew you were coming back this morning, so I made breakfast. Sarah there is enough for you too, and uh-thank you for the gift it was," Emani bites her lip before grinning. "Very satisfying, I'll definitely be using it again."

"Thank you Emani, and you're welcome." Sarah told me before that she got Emani a gift to make her feel better. It's good to know that it worked and Emani is no longer upset. This morning felt a little better and lighter. Sarah and I sit at the table and begin to eat the food.

"Oh my god," We say in unison.

"I'm glad you like it." Emani chuckles.

I point to the cut potatoes on my plate. "What is this?"

"Home fries." Emani answers. I nod my head in understanding before adding more to my plate. My parents had gourmet chefs when I was growing up but nothing compares to Emani's cooking. It brings me back to when I had her mother's delicious food as well so it must run in the family.

"Do you mind loading the dishes in the dishwasher and washing the pots?"

"Yeah, no problem." I respond but I'm fully distracted by the food.

"Well, enjoy, I better go." She says.

I look up. "You're not eating with us?" A small part of me wished she would stay and eat with us.

Emani shakes her head. "I already had a plate before you two came and I have to go to work." I realize that she's in work clothes.

"Okay," I say with a slight disappointment. I continue to stare at Emani, there's something different about her.

"What?" She laughs uncomfortably.

Finally realizing what's different about her, I refrain from saying out loud. "Nothing, don't forget to put on a coat, it's cold out." I go back to eating my food so that I didn't have to look at her face.

"Okay," Her voice filled with confusion. She takes her purse and leaves the kitchen.

"Why were you staring at her like that?" Sarah asks once she's gone. I ignore her and grab my plate and put it in the dishwasher. I begin to place the other things in the dishwasher as well. Sarah's shadow falls in front of me.

"William, why were you staring at Emani like that?"

Because she was glowing.

But I can't say that, because it doesn't make anysense. A person can't glow. It's impossible. Emani didn't glow, tt was her personality that glowed. The way she strutted, not walked, in her nude heels, the way she was humming gleefully in the beginning. That glowed. But Sarah would take it the wrong way and be in my ear all day if I said that. She would be then be under the assumption that I have feelings for Emani which is false. Emani's "vibrancy" was merely an observation. I still couldn't say the truth.

I shrug my shoulders. "I don't know."

♠️♠️♠️♠️

E M A N I

John gave me something that no one else could. A sweet escape. No one knew about him, except me, well Sarah as well. He was the tranquility that I needed in this storm at madness. We knew nothing about each other and I liked it like that.

I have to give Sarah credit wherever she found this escort services, because they deserve my praise and ratings. John, he knew what he was doing and where to hit all the right spots. I head to the living room to watch TV. I didn't expect to see William sitting at the couch. The TV is set to the local news and the anchor is currently talking about the New York election. Since he isn't consumed by his work right now, this might be the time to have a conversation with him.

"Oh hey when did you get in?" I say walking towards him.

William doesn't turn his head. "Like an hour ago, I called your name but I assumed you didn't hear me and were busy." My lips curve into a tiny smile thinking about John.

Focus Emani, this is the perfect time.

I sit on the couch next to William and fumble with my fingers. Williams' eyes are still on the screen. "We need to talk," I finally say.

William's head spins this way. "Okay" He turns off the tv and shifts his body to face me.

I take a deep breath. "To get past this, we need to talk about why I've been upset."

William holds his hand up to stop me. "No, I know why you're upset and I'm sorry about what happened at your wedding night. I was stupid and shouldn't have done that."

"Thank you and we need to set ground rules from now on." I say and William nods his head for me to continue. "William in order for this to work, the only thing I ask for is your respect. I know you don't like me and I know you want to be with Sarah and I can deal with all that, but I will not deal with being disrespected. That is me saying this as your wife and partner in this deal. If you don't comply then I can easily walk out of this thing and expose this whole agreement and you can say goodbye to being Governor."

A sly smirk appears on his face. "Yes ma'am."

I nod my head, that surprisingly wasn't hard. "Good." I take the remote from the table and turn the tv back on. We sit and watch and listen to the news about the election.