12.

Running for office is not as hard as acting to like someone.

I dread leaving the office now that there's company at home. I take my time heading back home with no urgency. It's close to 1 in the morning when I reach my house. I loosen my tie and sigh at the sight of Emani's parked car in the driveway. In the kitchen, I place my things on the kitchen counter. I walk down the hallway to get to my room. I almost didn't notice it. I walk backwards and gaze at the wall.

"What the fu-" I look at the no longer bare wall and see there are paintings down the wall. I take out my phone and dial Phoenix's number. He takes longer than usual to answer.

"What?" Phoenix snaps.

"She decorated the house without even asking me. I'm only gone for a few hours and she's already managed to ruin the whole house." I shout into the phone.

"The house looked bland anyway." Phoenix notes.

"Phoenix you know me and I like my things plain and simple."

"So then take the shit down!" The line goes dead before I can respond. I finish up some paperwork and prepare what I need to do for tomorrow. I do my hygenic routine and go to sleep.

No!

A scream wakes me up. I rush out of bed and head to Emani's room. The screaming gets louder as I get closer. I open the door see her kicking and screaming in bed. I dial Phoenix's number.

Phoenix sighs. "Yes William."

"Emani is kicking and screaming in her sleep, what do I do?"

"When did I become your designated mother?" He asks.

I roll my eyes even though he can't see me. "Phoenix, I'm being serious."

"Wake her up and comfort her, women love that shit." He says.

"Comfort her how?"

"Hold her close in her arms and tell her you like the paintings that she put up."

"But I hate the paintings." I add.

"It doesn't matter, it will make her feel better. Now stop calling me."

I hear shouting in the background. "Bro where are you?"

"Don't worry about it. Now do what I say and goodbye."

♠️♠️♠️

Are you fucking kidding me? I walk down the aisle with a worried expression, but I try my best not to reveal that I'm pissed right now. Leaving the sanctuary, I follow the sounds of commotion. Mrs. Tolbert strolls in my direction, when she notices me she nods confirming that she found Emani. I quicken my pace and walk past her. I find Sarah blocking a door. I stand infront of her.

"Excuse me."

"William, calm down first." She says with her hands behind her back holding the door handle.

"I am calm." I reply.

"No you're not, I can see the vein popping out on your forehead, you're pissed."

"Of course I'm fucking pissed." We turn our heads to see if anyone can see us. "Now will you please move so I can drag her by the veil to get her back up here."

"Be nice to her, William." Sarah says to me.

"What, I am being nice. I'm paying for all this shit."

"You just joked about dragging her by the veil without even realizing what saying that meant to me." My features soften and I internally slap myself in the face. "And money isn't everything Will. You've been treating her like shit this whole time. It's her wedding day. Every girl's dream and she's walking down the aisle to marry your handful ass who isn't nice to her."

"Okay so tell me what I should say so that I'm being nice."

"Make her feel like she's not alone in this, I think that's what's killing her the most. You've isolated her when it's supposed to be a partnership. Make her feel like you're her friend." I cringe at the thought of us being friends. I honestly couldn't stand being her friend.

Maybe an acquaintance, but not a friend.

♠️♠️♠️

Phoenix is on the phone with me as I enter the house."Hey man you remember the maid of honor from your wedding?"

I cringe at the sound of 'mywedding' "Jasmine?Emani's best friend?"

"Yeah"

"What about her?"

"We were talking to each other that whole night, and you know one thing led to another."

"You fucked Emani's best friend?" I say in awe.

"William, I think I'm in love." Phoenix sighs on the phone.

I chuckle. "Never thought I'd ever hear those words from you."

"It wasn't like anything I've ever dealt before. Aw man I'm telling you, I'm never going back."
Phoenix says.

"Back to what?"

"She had me speaking in spanish." Phoenix laughs, disregarding my question. "I haven't spoken that shit in years." I remember Phoenix's mother was hispanic. "Oh!" Phoenix moans. "and that ass. Muoy Bueno."

I shake my head while chuckling. My foot trip overs something and my body falls onto the floor.

"William, you there?"

I check behind me to see what I tripped over me and see a trash bag in the middle of the floor. Oh c'mon.

I grab my phone as I stand back up. "I'm gonna call you back Phoenix." I end the call.

"Emani!" I yell. It's a few minutes before she comes down.

Her face is expressionless."Yes"

"Why didn't you put the trash bag out?" I ask. She murmurs something under her breath. "What?"

"I didn't know I had to." She raises her voice a litle louder.

"Well I put it out of the can this morning for a reason. Before that I had to put the trash back in the bag after all of it fell because you didn't put the bag on it correctly."

"Are you done?" She says dully. I raise an eyebrow, what is her problem? "I'm not a fucking mind reader, William." She walks past me and picks up the trash bag and heads toward the door

"Excuse me?" She answers me by holding up the middle finger.