10.

(Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, stay safe my loves❤️)

Choose people who choose you.

Today is the day.

I'm actually doing it, I'm actually getting married today.

"You look beautiful, Honey." My mother coes. I side smile, at least her youngest daughter is getting married today. At least I'm making my mom proud.

"The finishing touch." My mom puts the veil on the back of my head. Ms. Agnes won the debate over wearing a veil, to my dismay.

I look at myself in the mirror. Everything looks perfect from my braided crown hairstyle to my dress. Everything is perfect, but none of this is me. I look at my phone to check the time and see my lock screen. It's a picture of all the kids infront of TCAC (Tolbert's Center for the Advancement of Children). I smile at the picture. I wish all of them could be here with me. Helping each and everyone of those kids always keep me going. I stand up from my chair.

I look at the picture one more time before turning to my mom. "Okay let's do this."

My heart beats faster and faster each step I take closer to the door. My dad pats me on the arm for support. His heading is facing forward beaming with pride, unaware that I'm really under distress. We finally reach the doors and wait at the doors for our cues.

I bend down and look through the doors with one eye.  All the rows  are filled up with people. More than half of the people I don't even recognize. Reporters stand out from the crowd. Reporters mean lots of cameras. All eyes will be on me. Everyone stands up and that is Dad and I's cue.

"You ready sweetheart?" He asks. I look at him then back at what's waiting on the other side of those doors.

"Fuck it." I hoist my dress up and book it as fast as I can away from the doors. I ignore the calls and screams behind me and run as fast as can as far away as possible. Thank god I wore sneakers.

I stop running once I stop hearing people calling my name. I see a door to a staircase and decide to take it. I go down the steps. Once I reach the end of the steps I see double doors that lead to a kitchen. I peep inside and it seems vacant. I push through the doors and no one is in there.

I release the breath I didn't know I was holding. I see chocolate covered pretzels on the counter. I have done insane workouts to fit into this dress and it will be thrown all away if I eat those pretzels. I really need a pick me up right now though. I ignore the red lights in the brain and walk to the pretzels. I grab the big bag and jump to sit on the counter. I'm too scared to look at this dress because I know this $2,00 dress is ruined.

The door swings open before I can make an attempt to escape. My mother appears from the doors.

"Emani, what you doing down here you caused a complete frenzy upstairs." I open my mouth to answer but the doors open again. Jasmine scopes around then her eyes land on me.

"I knew I'd find you here." She says as walks closer.

"Emani." My mom crossing her arms impatiently awaiting my response.

"Mom this is crazy. I can't go through with this."

She smiles with pity. "Every bride gets jitters before their wedding."

"No Mom." I hop off of the counter. I let out a frustrating sigh. I walk in one place back and forth.  "This situation is crazy. I just can't go through with the de-" I look at them and close my mouth before I say anything else.

"Mama Kim let me try and talk to Emani." Jasmine rests a hand on my mom's shoulders. My mom looks at me one last time before leaving us alone in the kitchen.

"Tell me what's going on." She demands. She uses the tone where I know I can't lie to her. It's best friends law 101.

I take a deep breath. "WilliamaskedmetomarryhimtowingovernorandIsaidyesbecauseIneedmoneyanddonorsforthecenter"

Jasmine slaps her forehead. "You're something else Emani Tolbert. You want to help the kids right?"

"Right."

"I really don't know what you see in those little shits to do anything for them." Jasmine rolls her eyes.

"Because who is going to help them when there are people like you who just disregard them to fend for themselves."

"So if you want to help them what's stopping you from marrying one of the finest men in the country?"

"I don't want to be suffering for these next three years Jasmine." I let the truth out. "Because he's the biggest ass in the country and he doesn't like me that much. He's with another girl that he loves"

"Sis I know you have heard of side hoes!" We both stare at each other and then burst out laughing.

Our laughing stops when we hear the door being open again. In walk William, but he doesn't look mad which was I what expected him to be.

"Can I speak with Emani please?" He asks looking directly at me and not Jasmine. Jasmine leaves me and walks to door.

She shrugs. "Sure, but first-" She spins on her heels and slaps William. I drop my chocolate covered pretzels. "Okay she's all yours." Jasmine exits the kitchen.

"What the hell was that for?" He asks with one hand on his cheek.

"I told her everything." I move closer to him to look at his face.

William backs away with his hands up. "I'm fine." I examine his face from a distance and there aren't any cuts or bruises but a deep red handprint on his face. "Everyone is worried about you up there."

"I know."

"Out of everyone, your dad was the worst one in a panic. Hopefully, your mom calmed him down by now," William says.

I shake my head. "He is so dramatic it's embarrassing."

"Look Emani, this situation is crazy and a complete mess, but we can get through this mess together." He takes both of my hands in his. I didn't know it was possible to get loss in his perfectly simple brown eyes. "I'm scared out of my mind too about this, but there are people counting on us to do this. We may not have started out on the best terms but I think today we can start off on the right foot. Just don't give up on this yet."

William was able to silence my heart and mind from telling me what to do. "Okay, let's do this," I say.

[][][][]

They said their I do's. His face was calm and joyful while putting the ring on her finger. Emani had no nerves while putting the ring on his finger. William and Emani kissed which made the whole room cooe. They looked so in love, it almost felt real.

That night, Emani and William danced until their feet were sore. Everyone was happy, the energy was electrifying. They danced with their families and danced with their friends then danced with each other. There was not a dull moment for the happy couple.

[][][][]

William and I stop at our two seperate hotel rooms that are next to each other. We stand outside of our doors looking at each other.

"Well good job today Mrs. Harrington." William chuckles. Mrs. Harrington. That name doesn't even sound like it belongs to me, but it doesn't bother me too much.

"Thank you, same to you Mr. Harrington." He shakes his head and smiles as he unlocks his hotel door. I do the same but quickly turn back around

"Hey I have I cards in my room if you wanted to stay up late and play spit and watch some tv."I say smiling ear to ear, still high off the great time from this night.

"Oh I-" Sarah appears and kisses Will infront of me, she hadn't even noticed my presence.

"Congratulations, Mr Harrington. I have to give your wedding present remember?" She giggles drunkenly and and pulls his tie into William's room. He had totally forgotten about playing cards and watching netflix and didn't even give me a second glance as he accepted her kisses and went inside the room.