Chapter 22 | "with your family"

Minji's eyes shot open, panic instantly flooding her body as she lurched up, taking a deep inhale with her muscles tensed.

"Woah woah, calm down, Min, it's alright." Sungchan was instantly by her side, his hand comfortingly rubbing her shoulder as her eyes wildly looked around her.

She was breathing heavily, still confused as fear from her last memories flashed through her veins.

"Relax, everything's okay. You're okay." Her best friend stared at her with wide eyes flooding with relief. "You're alive."

I'm alive?

She opened her mouth to speak but no sound came out, only searing pain in her throat that caused her to wince.

"I wouldn't try to speak to much yet, Ji." Sungchan said softly. "Taeil said the smoke really damaged your lungs and throat so it might take a while.

She nodded, taking the water that Sungchan was holding out to her and drinking it carefully, the cool liquid both soothing and irritating her throat.

"How?" She asked, her voice a barely audible raspy whisper. "How am I here? I should've died."

"They'll tell you, I promise." He replied, standing from his seat. "I have to go tell the guys that you're awake first, Taeyong's orders. I'll see you soon."

With a smile he ducked out of the room, leaving her alone to her confusion. She was painfully aware of the burning in her lungs every time she took a breath, her eyes were dry and swollen, and her skin was littered with small burns. Her memory was foggy, but one question remained: how the hell am I alive?

All she could remember was saving Haejoon and then collapsing. She remembered the inferno heat of the flames inching towards her, the suffocating burn of her lungs as she took a final breath before everything went dark.

"Minji? You up?" She was shaken out of her thoughts as the door to her room opened, Taeyong peeking his head in. "Oh thank god you're awake."

"How-"

"Stop." He held a hand up as she tried to speak. "No talking yet. I brought you this instead." He handed her a small white board and marker. "Write whatever you want to say."

She took it from him with a grateful smile, uncapping the marker and quickly scribbling out her question.

How long has it been?

"A little under a day. Haechan brought you home late last night. It's 6pm now."

Is his family okay?

"Yeah they're all fine." She let out a sigh, a relieved smile on her face at the older boys answer. "Haejoon is in the hospital getting his lungs treated. His parents were able to get out before it got bad."

She nodded her head, the panic leaving her body as she finally scribbled out the question that was perplexing her the most.

How am I alive?

"You're going to want to ask Haechan that question. He's the one who got you out of there before you were burned to a crisp." Her eyes widened as Taeyong chuckled. "All I know is he was in a crying panic when he ran into the house with you, saying that you got caught in fire but he somehow got you out."

She just blinked in shock, slowly nodding her head in understanding as the older boy stared at her. She watched as he let out a sigh, a concerned look taking over his face.

"Now it's my turn to ask you a question, Minji." He said, sitting up straighter. "You went back to save that little boy, right?" She nodded. "And from my understanding of what Haechan said, it didn't seem like there was going to be a way out, but you knew that, didn't you? "

She nodded again, slowly this time as Taeyong let out a deep sigh.

"Min, I know this has been a rough few days for you with the anniversary of your family dying, were you thinking about them?" She nodded again, tears in her eyes.

I thought I would see them again. I'm sorry.

"Don't be sorry, Minji, I get it. I'm not mad, not in the slightest." Taeyong said quickly after reading her message, tightly grasping onto her hand. "I just don't know what I'd do if I lost you. You're family to me. I know that it can be hard, and I know you still blame yourself for their death, and I know nothing will bring them back but please. We need you. I need you. You can't give up yet."

She nodded slowly, using her free hand to wipe a tear from Taeyong's cheek.

"You've always been a fighter, you're the most selfless person I've ever met. And you're the only person crazy enough to continuously jump in front of knives and bullets for us." He chuckled, blinking away the rest of his tears. "But I value you and your life so much. And all I ask is that you try to stop blaming yourself, and try to start seeing how important you and your life are. I know deep down, you don't want to die. There's so much left you out there. You know that, right?"

She nodded again, a small smile on her face.

"You had a bad moment. You always go back to that dark headspace around this time, it just so happens that you were in the wrong place when it happened." He said softly. "But you're safe now, and you're back with us. With your family."

I'm better now. I promise, I love youuu <3

He chuckled at her message, nodding his head.

"I love you too, Minji. You're the greatest little almost-sister I could've ever asked for." He said, standing and ruffling her hair. "I just hope you can stop being so tormented by your past. Life can be beautiful once you open your eyes to see it."

With a smile, he walked out the door, leaving her alone to her thoughts.

Taeyong is right. I have to stop playing with death. It's time I start playing with life.

 It's time I start playing with life