13 - The Swan

"Darianka, it's just one interview! This could get you more visibility and maybe even some sponsors!"

"No Sveta! I'm not doing that, I don't need the money or the attention" I huff as I try to make my way back towards the rink to watch Yuzuru's performance.

"You should want the attention! The more attention you get, the more you get known in the skating community!" she argued, trailing behind me.

"But I don't want it! Not yet at least, I need this year to go well and it won't if I have the pressure of the media, following my every move!!!"

"Dariank-"

"Okay, you know what? I will give interviews at Nationals in December, and maybe at worlds!"

"We'll talk more about that when we get back home."

I roll my eyes as I increase my pace, already hearing them announce Yuzuru. When I get to the side of the rink I see him gliding towards the center, perfectly embodying the behavior of a swan.

As he makes his way to the exit I can't stop myself from smiling at him. He gets his guards and jacket before walking towards me, grinning like a goof.

"Well if this whole figure skating thing doesn't work out, you could always try becoming a bird..." I tease, flashing him a smirk.

"Haha very funny..."

"Okay okay, I'll admit it... That was a bit mean, but take it as a compliment! You really nailed the whole 'Swan' thing!" I look up at him because he's way taller than me in his skates, genuinely smiling.

"So you liked it...?" he asks, scratching the back of his head. Even though it's dark, I can still see the subtle flush spreading from his cheeks to his ears.

"No, but it was still a great performance!" I wink and start skipping towards the changing room.

"Whaaaaat?!" I see his eyes widen in surprise, but I just continue walking. When I walk into the locker room I'm surprised to find it empty and even more surprised when I don't hear the door close behind me.

"You know, you're not supposed to be here..." I sit down on the bench and remove my shoes.

"Why didn't you like it?"

"It's just not my style, I prefer your other programs!"

"Which ones?" he inquires curiously, sitting down next to me.

"Well if we're talking about exhibition programs, I prefer requiem, from last year..."

"And the other programs?" he grabs my skate, handing it to me almost instinctively "Right skate first?"

I pause, making eye contact with the black haired boy that was innocently smiling at me. His eyes reminded me of the hot chocolate I would drink as a kid. A deep, rich, chocolate color.

"You remember..."

"Of course... How could I forget."

"I can't imagine why you wouldn't..." I take the skate and start lacing it "So what do you wanna know?"

"Huh?"

"About your programs..."

"Oh... Your favorite short program...?"

"Parisienne Walkways."

"Second favorite?"

"I don't know. I like 'Let's go crazy' but Chopin from last year was better, in my opinion..."