Chapter XXVI: A Start

This is not the end, but we're getting close! One chapter and then an epilogue left! Thanks for all the support, hope you enjoy this extra long chapter! :)

"Some chapters just have to close without closure. You can't lose yourself by trying to fix what's meant to stay broken."

   (Nitya Prakash)

5 Years Ago~

"Y/N, can I come in?"

Y/N looked up with a smile at the sound of the familiar voice, the smile suddenly fading from her face as she was met with a shirtless and bloody Touya, fresh new burns spanning across his chest.

"Fuck Touya, what happened? Come here, you look horrible."

"Thanks Doll, that's reassuring."

Y/N couldn't help but roll her eyes at his sarcastic response as she moved to help him inside her room, gently sitting him down on the bed. Keigo was out on a mission for the commission so she had just been waiting in her room for him to get back. Moving quickly, Y/N grabbed the first aid kit that she had already used multiple times on Touya, treating new burn wounds that appeared on his body nearly every other day. Taking a rag and dousing it with alcohol, Y/N held it over Touya's bloody chest, making eye contact with him silently asking if he was ready.

"Just get it over with-- please."

Answering his request, Y/N placed the rag to his chest, grimacing herself at the hisses of pain that left Touya's mouth. She worked quickly to clean his chest, wiping away the dried blood and then smearing a healing ointment on top of the fresh burn. She could see Touya's fists clutching at her bedsheets the whole time, his knuckles white as he struggled to hide his groans of pain. After applying the ointment, Y/N wrapped his chest in gauze, a slight blush covering her cheeks as she almost had to straddle his lap to do so. Moving to sit next to him on her bed, she gave his hand a slight squeeze, a small smile gracing her features.

"All done. Does that feel any better?"

Not answering her question, Touya moved to lay down, his head laying on her lap and his closed eyes facing the ceiling. Y/N was surprised by the sudden action, but quickly regained her composure, letting her hands gently play with his white locks.

Silence engulfed the pair for a while until Touya's voice broke through it, his cerulean eyes suddenly opening to meet Y/N's crimson gaze. 

"Y/N, why do you want to be a hero again?"

"So I can become someone who could've saved my mom. So that--"

Reaching up towards the ceiling with his right hand Touya shook his head, immediately disagreeing with her answer.  

"No-- I want to know why. Why do you want to become a hero-- for fame, to save people, to fight against villains? Everyone has a motive-- so what's yours?"

Y/N removed her hands from Touya's hair, leaning back on her arms and mimicking Touya as she gazed up towards the ceiling. 

"Someone like my father should have never been a hero. While there are good heros out there-- there are a lot who are playing the part for the wrong reasons-- fame, power, money... I guess what I really want is to become a hero that can change all of that. I want to become a hero so that I can help to get rid of the fake heros, so that I can burn this damn building down and become exactly what the commission doesn't want-- not their pawn, but an actual hero to society. If going through this shit helps me to get there-- then that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make."