Untitled Part 13

"My mom wanted me to give you this. And here is your hoodie. I washed it." Kia said awkwardly.

First off, I was shocked as hell to see her on my doorstep. The only time Kia has been to my house was the night Christy cracked me in the face. Other than that, Kia has never stepped foot over here.

Second off, Kia has barely surfaced from her own house this past week. Her car is in the driveway, but I never see her. I even tried stopping by a few times. The door never opened. Juan was even getting worried when she wouldn't leave the house. To see her today was a rather nice surprise.

Although, if I'm being honest, she doesn't look that great. Dark circles consumed her eyes, indicating many sleepless nights. She wore a long sleeved shirt to cover the many bruises I remembered seeing on her arms. She had her hair pulled up, and appeared nervous. Definitely not the confident sassy woman that I am used to. I frowned when I saw that her arm was still wrapped in a bandage.

Shoving my thoughts aside, I smiled at her and accepted the plate of food that Maria had passed along. Hell yes, I will eat anything that woman cooks. Hell, I'd let her move in and cook for me if she would.

"Hey you. I haven't seen you around lately." I smiled at Kia.

"I've just been staying inside is all." Kia said, looking away from me.

"Come in." I told her.

"Um, not today. I'm really not feeling that great." She said quickly.

My eyebrows wrinkled together at her statement. If I had to guess, I'd say Kia hasn't slept at all this entire week. She needs to or she is going to be very sick.

"Kia?" I asked her.

"Huh?" She asked distractedly.

"When's the last time you slept? Like really slept?" I asked.

"Oh. Shit. I guess about a week ago? Hell, I don't know." She muttered.

"Come inside, please?" I pleaded with her.

"Brian, I'm fine." She told me.

"Then come inside." I grinned.

"No." She whispered tearfully.

The smile dropped from my face. This fucking Tanner asshole has left her untrusting of everyone. My anger started to ignite again, but I remained calm. No need to scare her off.

"Listen to me." I started, watching her wipe her eyes.

"You need some sleep, and I don't think you want to be alone. Am I getting close?" I asked.

She nodded, glancing away from me. I relaxed a little. I can work with this. Now I just need to convince her.

"Have I really given you a reason to not trust me? I mean, aside from me being a dick to you, I haven't done anything. Have I?" I asked.

"No." She sniffled.

"Then why don't you trust me just like you did a week ago? Come inside and get some sleep. Some real sleep. I wouldn't let anything happen to you. I put that on everything." I told her seriously.

I've never been this serious. It pains me to see her this way. I hate it.

"I don't want to bother you." She sighed.

"You aren't bothering me. Come on." I grinned, opening the door for her.

Kia nodded and stepped inside my house. I put the food away that Maria gave me. Kia sat down on my couch while I took the loveseat across from her.