Untitled Part 23

"Holy shit! Suzy! Get your ass out here! You gotta meet the girl that thinks our kid is an asshole!" My dad yelled into the house.

I rolled my eyes at my father's antics. This is the first time I've brought Kia to visit my dad and step mom.

My dad pushed past me, smiling as he hugged Kia. For real? I don't even get acknowledged? I shook my head in amusement at them.

"Come inside. Let's get you a drink." My dad smiled at Kia, leading her inside.

"Hey dad." I glared.

"Fuck off, kid. I see you all the time." My dad smiled at me.

I chuckled, but followed behind them to the kitchen. Suzy quickly had Kia wrapped up in conversation. Kia was answering all her questions about the dance studio and what types of classes she teaches. Suzy was impressed.

"Finally managed to get her to say yes to dating you, I see." My dad said to me quietly.

"Took a while." I grinned.

My dad motioned me to follow him out back. I stepped outside, shutting the door behind me. I lit up a cigarette and blew out the smoke.

"So what's her story?" He asked.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"Brian, you find the damaged girls that always seem nice until you're too deep into the relationship with them. What's her baggage?" He asked seriously.

My dad was right. Christy was the worst person I have ever had a relationship with. Thinking back more, I realized I had brought home some women that were just plain toxic to even be around. Part of me wonders if Kia will change later on. Will she become a different person after a while? How fast will she change? Will I even see it coming?

"So?" My dad asked me.

"She's divorced. Like over two years ago. Ex-husband slapped her around a lot. Occasionally, he makes an appearance and tells her she needs to come home." I sighed.

"I'm assuming he hasn't come around since you've been with her, or I'd be bailing your sorry ass out of jail?" He grinned.

"He came around before she even liked me one night. Her brother kicked his ass. Haven't seen him since." I told him.

"And Christy?" He asked.

"Blowing up my phone. I can't change my number because there are too many people that have it for the band. She hasn't been around lately. I have a feeling that it is only a matter of time." I sighed again.

"What are Kia's parents like?" He asked curiously.

"Um, well, she was adopted. Her family is actually Hispanic." I grinned.

"No shit?" He laughed.

"No shit. But they are the nicest people I've ever met in my life. They would do anything for anyone. Her mother is amazing." I smiled.

"That's good. What happened to her real parents?" He asked.

That was the million dollar question. I have no idea. I've tried to gently bring it up, but she changes the subject each time. Juan just says I have to ask her. He refuses to give me any information about her past. I just want to know. But, I don't want to dig too deep and upset her.

"She hasn't said." I told him quietly.

"Probably traumatic for her then. Go easy with that one. She may cut your balls off." My dad smiled.

"That's no shit." I laughed.

"I do like her. I'm just cautious about liking her too quickly. You understand my reason for this, right?" He asked.