2-11: Kä neto!

I went to visit Jake often enough that I learned a little about healing, something all Tsahiks learn. Jake healed quickly due to the efforts of the Tawtute and the healers. Tsu'tey was shaken and Neytiri was furious. I had to hold Aaron back, to him, this was a betrayal to all he believed and learned from me. He became unhinged and a loner. I noticed this was putting a strain on Katherine. I made note of it but I had yet to confront her about it.

I keep reminding myself that I can't solve everyone's problems. Like Saeyla's love triangle. She decided she liked neither enough to make a choice. Right now she's focused on Ateyo, Artsut, and Arvok.

"Aynga kavuk sìmi fìmowarsiyu!" she reffered to Jake and their betrayal of him and the clan. Tsu'tey pushed through the crowd which was too tense to part. Shouts of anger and treachery were thrown at them. Artsut panicking, glanced around frantically at the angry crowd. Noticing Tsu'tey, she managed to mumble a plea to her son.

"Oeyä ma 'itan, fìkelkin si! 'Uo kem sìyi!" Her voice was shredded from her shouts of denial and pleas for mercy. Her eyes filled with fear when he replied with silence. I moved to touch his arm to remind him not to do anything too rash. His mother shot a look at me while Ateyo gave me a sympathetic look.

"Ma sa'nok... menga kem sami keyawr sìn leNa'vì." he drew in a deep breath before making a statement to the clan. He glanced down at me and back at his family. He knew his brother thought what he was doing was right, and that he may have held the blade, but he did not poison Jake.

"Banishment, Mother, Father, take what you need and leave. There are other clans willing to accept you elsewhere. Arvok, you will have to go through Txoafya'o." He spoke slowly and clearly. Everyone heard it with the exception of those above us in the branches of Mehutral.

The lore keepers told me of Txoafya'o when I asked about traditions and ceremonies. The path of forgiveness was a long and exhausting set of trials. For the first few moon cycles, he would have to be in servitude to the clan, anyone who needed help. If no one needed help, he'd begin the next trial. He would hunt alone and fend for himself throughout the trials and help feed the clan. Tsaheylu would be forbidden to him with the exception of his Ikran. He would either be estranged from the clan or forgiven. The next trial would have him given some sort of task necessary to the clan. Something big. If he failed, he would try again the following day.

The final trial is a ceremony by the same name as the path of forgiveness. It's a group prayer to Eywa to seek his fate. I know it will be hard on him.

Tsu'tey guided me back to our spot, the cave near the water. He sighed exasperatedly and sat down. His chest heaved a silent sob and he covered his face. I hesitantly placed a hand to his back and another on his shoulder.

"Tsu'tey..." I said in a breathy tone. The mildew smell of the cave covered his usual earthy, sweet smell. I know it hurts, to have banished his own parents out of the clan they had so much pride in. There were no words I could say to make him feel better. No gestures of kindness to cheer him up.

He knew it was for the clan and for Jake. He knew better than to let his own feelings get in the way, but those are his parents.

I buried my face into his shoulder from behind him, "I'm here." I whispered. His brows furrowed as he looked up with determination flickering in his eyes.

"Tanhì, I-" he sighed frustratedly, "We should go back. I'm expected to be there for last meal." He groaned. I shook my head.

"No, you need time. I can't pretend to know how you feel right now, but I am here for you and I want to be the shoulder you lean on." I said gingerly. He laid back onto the soft earth of cave floor and sighed deeply.

"Do you think they're disappointed in me? My parents?" He glanced at me. I slouched while I was in thought.

"No, they may be upset but I think your father is proud of the man you've become. Your brother loves you much and looks up to you, that hasn't changed. Your mother may not like me but she seems to respect your persistence." I say. I hesitate with every word.

"Yawne, I will never be as good as you!" he laughs.

I snapped my head to look at him, I was confused. "What do you mean?" I said blankly.

"The spirit of the people. You see in a way I struggle with. As the Olo'eyktan I must understand the spirit of the people. But you do it effortlessly." he sighed heavily with satisfaction.

"No, I- that makes no sense. I just get people!" I said switching to english. My native tongue sounds foreign on my lips.

--------------------

On our way back into Mehutral, we talked about our responsibilities and duties and how we'd make more time for one another. For the clan, it is odd and controversial for an Olo'eyktan and Tsahik to be anything but stern. Tsu'tey has the stern part but I guess I'm not. I should learn to keep face, but I shouldn't have to be anyone but me for the clan.

--------------------

Shortly after the conflict was over, I took Aaron out for his final trial. He was clumsy and sloppy. Not ready. He scared off every animal he came across.

"You need more practice, Aaron." I said. His ears dropped like he didn't hear me.

"Do you think I'll have to wait until next Iknimaya?" He said without facing me. there was a sadness I can only describe as a puppy, whining after getting his tail stepped on.

"You may, but we'll see." I said in english. We began our long walk back to Hometree. I knew Katherine was waiting for him. And I knew she depended on me to teach him and guide him properly so that he can join her at Iknimaya. It's unspoken between them but I think they like each other.

I'm no Mo'at or a tsahik, but...

"Aaron, you know you can talk to me right?" I asked in english. He turned his head a little.

"Yeah, why?"

"It's nothing, probably just intuition, but..." I scratched the back of my neck trying to find the best words to use, "You and Katherine are close, right?"

He looked shocked that I noticed.

"Uh yeah, yes actually. Uhm I-"

"That's all I needed to know," I cut him off. He stared at me in an odd way. He still has much to learn, he's painfully unworldly. That might get him hurt. I'm not responsible for my student but I feel as though I am.