Chapter 3

Phupha arrived exactly at three, when an army of children fled the school, and ran to the playground adjacent to the school, to await their doting parents.

Phupha searched for Daw while keeping an eye out for Tian as well. When he spotted them both, Daw animatedly speaking. Her hands often flying above her head in her excitement, and Tian smiling amusedly.

Phupha strode up to the pair, and before he could utter a greeting, Daw wheeled on him.

"DADDY!" and jumped up into Phupha's awaiting arms.

Phupha chuckled, "Hello, sweetheart. Did you make any friends today?" Phupha asked. Daw nodded.

"I met Pim, and Mork, and Kit, and-"Phupha looked up at Tian who was still staring at them. He tried to figure out something good to say, but Tian beat him to it.

"It was nice meeting you, Khun. I'll see you around," he said with a wide smile. He waved goodbye to Daw before he turned back to walk inside. He wanted to chat with Tian but looks like Tian didn't feel the same.

"Well, my little star", Phupha said to her, "to celebrate your first day of school, I think we'll have some ice cream for a snack, what do you think?"Daw started screaming from excitement and bouncing up and down in his arms.

"I'll take that for a yes", Phupha laughed and headed back to the car.

Daw blabbered on about stories and numbers and her teacher who was "The nicest in the world! He's the best." Phupha couldn't help but smile when he heard it.

When they got out of the car and headed into the ice cream parlor, Daw was still talking about the things Khru Tian had told them they were going to learn about throughout the year. She clambered out and jumped down from the car with a slight bounce in her step, turning around to close the door. It didn't quite catch, though, so she opened it just enough to force it so it would close properly. Daw grabbed his hand, winding her slender fingers through his, and swung their hands back and forth as they walked up to the doors. Phupha opened it for her, letting the six-year-old push past him and make her way up to the counter. She crawled up onto one of the stools that lined it, waving to the boy who was working there. Phupha allowed the door to close behind him and joined her, placing a hand on her shoulder as he looked up at the menu.

"What do you want?"Daw smacked his hands on the glass as she pointed.

"I want that blue one, Daddy, what does that say?" he asked.

"That's Berry Blast, sweetheart." Daw's eyes twinkled.

"That's sounds so pretty. I want that." Phupha chuckled.

"Okay, anything else?"

"Hot fudge!" She looked up and said.

"Alright, tell the man what you want." Phupha picked her up and settled her on his hip as he turned to face the teenager behind the counter.

"Uhm..." Daw curled a little closer to her dad and said shyly, "Berry Blast and hot fudge with rainbow sprinkles, please." The guy nodded with a smile and turned to look at Phupha.

"Good job," Phupha praised quietly, kissing Daw's cheek and he placed his order. Once the two were the proud owners of cups of ice cream, they made their way over to a booth in the corner and settled in to eat.

For the first few minutes, there was no sound but chewing and the pleased hums that came with cold ice cream on a warm day. Ice cream was on Daw's nose and already sticking a few strands of her dark hair together, but she was oblivious as she continued. "We even have beanbag chairs in our class where we can sit when Khru Tian reads to us. It's so cool! Could I get a beanbag chair for my room?" Phupha chuckled.