Chapter 10 The melody of longing

Omniscient narrator

Sam drives while Yu quietly looks out the window. They are driving along a country road that runs through the middle of a Cherry tree plantation.

The cherry blossoms are glowing this time of year. Yu enjoys the sight, which reminds him of his homeland. Cherry blossoms have a special meaning in Japan. "Write down your dearest wish and hang it on the cherry tree. The blossoms will grant you your wish," Yu's mother has said every year since he was a child.

Yu remembers his annual wishes. They were always small and achievable. 'What do I wish for this year?' he thinks to himself and turns his gaze to Sam.

Sam senses Yu's sight and smiles. He continues to look at the road, watching the sun rays dancing around on the asphalt through the reflection of the cherry tree blossoms.

Only at Yu's side does he feel safe in silence. Only at Yu's side.

"I love the cherry blossoms this time of year," Yu says looking at Sam.

"Yes, they are truly breathtaking.", Sam replies still looking ahead. Quietly, Yu whispers, "Yes, the sight is truly breathtaking."

Yu's gaze doesn't turn from Sam's profile. His eyes radiate desire.

Sam feels Yu's eyes on him and blushes slightly. He doesn't dare to return the look.

'Why does my body react so much to you, Yu?' he asks himself.

'You are my beginning and my end,' he moans inwardly.

Minutes pass and Sam still feels Yu's gaze on him.

"Do I have something on my face?" he deflects the sizzling mood.

Yu chuckles sweetly and remains silent. Sam gives him a grin and grimaces. How many times has he managed to make Yu laugh brightly with his grimaces. His happy cackle is contagious. Both laugh their heads off.

Sam's thoughts darken again, 'Did you just go on with your life? Completely independent of me? Three weeks you ignored me. I want to hear your answer. To understand your thoughts. To be one with you. But I'm afraid of that. I am afraid of your reason.' Sam decides to suppress his thoughts.

The atmosphere seems carefree and with an unspoken secret. The air crackles and purrs the melody of longing.

The tingling in Sam's stomach is incessantly at work. 'How can you have such an effect on me,' he thinks to himself.

Yu smirks gently and leans his head against his seat. The two-hour ride, during which they breathe the same air, feel close to each other, is the reparation of all the wistful thoughts and feelings of the past weeks.

Both decide, unspoken, that they just want to enjoy the moment. This day should remain in their memories forever.

No words. No thoughts. No decisions.

The spring festival intoxicates all the senses. The sun intensifies all colors. Colorful garlands sway happily in the light breeze. The scent of sweet delicacies wafts over the strangers. Everyone looks happy.

Sam opens the passenger door and extends his hand to Yu. A gentleman. As always.

Yu grabs his hand and doesn't want to let go. His big hands make him feel safe.

"Thank you," Yu whispers, leans forward and kisses Sam on the cheek.

Sam looks perplexed, but relaxes again immediately. He blushes slightly and takes a deep breath.