Chapter 18 Supernova

Omniscient narrator

Yu has been living in his apartment in Taiwan for only half a year. He rented the apartment only for the filming. So far, there have been no opportunities to get to know the neighbors better. How could there be? Yu often came home only at night. In the first few months, he always felt very lonely. The apartment was empty when he left and silent when he came back. But that was not the reason for his loneliness. He lacked the time and energy to make himself comfortable. Cozy, however, does not mean to Yu what others understand it to mean.

Yu is an aesthete. In Japan, he invested a lot of love and money in his furnishings. He compensated for his lack of ability to interact socially as a child with a passion for unique pieces.

Objects that he felt with him. That were beautiful and still with him. That he could not disappoint. Only admire. Only for himself.

Yu was never the social person. He never invited friends over or had family visit. He always found it disturbing to have someone intrude on him. It just didn't fit his philosophy of life. He wanted to be to himself. To listen to his own thoughts.

He felt lost in his residence in Taiwan. He didn't like coming home. Only during the filming and meetings did he clearly feel that it was the right decision to take this opportunity.

He grew and grew through Sam.

Never in his life did he let anyone get so close to him.

Sam knows how to break down Yu's walls. In a parcour, he raced straight toward his inner self.

To then make him laugh. To help him up. To just stand silently by his side.

Yu knows full well that Sam hates being reduced to his looks. He wants to be admired for his performance. His constant grimaces do not merely trigger an avalanche of laughter in both of them, they want much more to ask Yu to look behind the facade.

But for Yu, it was directly Sam's inside that he admired. From the very beginning. He saw a strong, confident man who knew how to react in any situation. Everywhere he appeared, he attracted his fellow men. And how he spoke. His deep voice did not allow any interruptions and his rhetoric did not need any.

And his warm friendliness touched Yu in all the hours Sam spent internalizing roles with him. Practicing his pronunciation.

Hours in which Yu hung on his lips. In which they played their roles.

As Zhou Shu Yi, he could be close to him. See him and feel him.

Only then was the moment when he became aware of Sam's appearance. Every time he looked at Sam, he noticed a new breathtaking detail.

Yu considers Sam as an aesthete and his judgment is steadily confirmed.

When did the feelings start to tip? Yu often pondered this question. When did he start looking at his work colleague and now friend with longing eyes? How often, Yu wondered, had he just gotten too deep into his role?

It wasn't merely the scenes in which they became physically very close. It was much more the flashbacks he had after the shooting.

During which he painfully longed. Like an addicted body craves the next shot. They hit him like a wave and carried him off into his fantasies.

He missed him so hard when he was then alone again in his apartment.

He, the self-sufficient aesthete had found the most beautiful object of his desire inside and out.