Thirty-Nine

Dylan let out a breath as we drove into my hometown. I looked over at him from the passenger seat.

We got into Dallas by the afternoon and Thanksgiving is in three days. We're staying for two days after as well so almost a full week.

"Mama, where are we?" Amelia asked. It's been probably two years since she's been out here. The last time she saw my parents and siblings was before I got full custody so I'm not gonna be surprised if she doesn't really remember them.

Adelaine has been out here more than her and she's really excited to see her Nana and Papa. Although my dad may not want to see me, he's never been rude to Adelaine. Amelia though, he treats her different because she was born when James and I got divorced.

"We're gonna see Nana and Papa." I told her. "It's been a while since you've seen them but I'm sure when we get there you'll remember."

"Is Uncle Evy gonna be there?" Adelaine asked.

"Yep." I nodded. "And auntie Jill."

"Yay!" she cheered. I laughed and looked back out front.

We drove through the town and I felt extremely nervous. As we pulled into the neighborhood, I saw houses of many of my old friends. We got to my parents house and I looked at Dylan who sighed heavily.

"Do I look okay?"

"Why?" I laughed.

"Because, I'm meeting your parents for the first time. I don't want them to think I'm some snobby dude from LA." he told me as he fixed his hair in the rearview mirror.

"You look fine." I pulled his hands away and rubbed my thumbs on the back of them. "Just be yourself, okay? They'll love you." I leaned up and pecked his lips. "Let's go."

We got out and helped the girls out of their car seats. Adelaine came around and Amelia held onto my hand.

Dylan got the bags out of the car while I walked up to the house with the girls. I rang the doorbell and took a deep breath hoping it's my mom or sister that answers the door.

The door opened to reveal my mom who smiled excitedly at us.

"Nana!" Adelaine jumped into her arms. My mom laughed and lifted her up.

"Hi sweetheart!" she kissed my daughters head. "Come in, come in."

I walked in but left the door open so Dylan could come in. We stood right there in the doorway and I lifted Amelia onto my hip.

"Hi Amelia." my mom said in a sweet voice. "How are you sweetheart?"

Amelia shyly hid her face in my neck.

"She's a little shy." I told my mom.

"Oh, sweetie. I meant to tell you, one of my coworkers has a son around your age." she told me making me roll my eyes. "I could introduce you two if you'd like."

"Actually mom, I kind of have a boyfriend." I told her with a smile.

"Really?" she raised her brows. "Well, why didn't you tell me? When can I meet him?"

"He's actually right," I turned around and saw Dylan walking up the steps with our suitcases, "right there." I smiled.

"Oh." she looked at him with wide eyes.

Dylan walked in and I noticed him nervously rub his hands on his jeans.

"Hi, Mrs. Holt, it's nice to meet you." he smiled and held out his hand.

"Well, it's nice to meet you too. But please call me Becca." she smiled genuinely at him making me release a breath of relief. "Although, I didn't know Katherine was bringing anyone."