Fifty-One

Dylan rushed up the steps of his and Katherine's home with Tyler right behind him. He had to make things right with her. She's the love of his life and he already gave her up the first time and then let her walk away a second.

He knocked on the door and rang the doorbell a bunch until the door opened. He was about to let another apology fly from his mouth but stopped seeing Phoebe in the doorway.

"Where's Katherine? I really need to talk to her." he tried to walk inside but she stopped him.

"She's gone Dylan."

His stomach dropped. "W-What do you mean gone?"

"She left for Texas." she has tears in her eyes. "She took the dog and her daughters, packed two suitcases and left. Because you weren't man enough to just talk things out with her."

"I was trying to!"

"By writing a letter and leaving?" Phoebe scoffed. "A letter that Adelaine had to find and bring to her mother."

"I didn't mean for this to happen. Look, what time does their flight leave I might be able to catch them." Dylan said.

"You're too late Dylan. They're already gone." she told him.

"No." he whispered in disbelief.

"I'm sorry Dyl." Tyler put his hand on Dylan's shoulder but the man pushed him off of him.

"Just leave me alone." he snapped at them.

All because of his selfish decision, he just lost the love of his life.

———

Katherine opened the door of her rental car and got out. She glanced at the two sleeping kids in the back and sighed as tears welled up in her eyes. She decided she'd come back out and get them after making her presence known to her family.

She knocked on the door and tried to stop the tears from falling. It didn't help that it's raining outside and she was now completely soaked.

The door opened and Katherine felt her heart break even more as she looked into the eyes of her father.

"You were right." she choked out, the salty tears now making their way down her cheeks. "You were right." she repeated.

"Oh honey." he pulled her into a hug and that was when she finally broke. Sobs racked her body as she clung to her father. She didn't even notice when her mom and sister ran to the car to get the girls and Gizmo.

Nor did she remember being led to the living room and sitting down on the couch.

"Baby what happened?" her mom crouched down in front of her and cupped her cheeks trying to wipe her tears.

"James came back." avoiding eye contact with her dad, she took a deep breath as she began to explain what happened. "Dylan felt excluded and like I didn't love him anymore so he left." her lips pulled into a tight line. "He broke up with me over a note."

"Honey, I'm so sorry." her father sat down beside her and pulled her close to his side.

"Mama I'm pregnant." Katherine sobbed out. "And he doesn't know." her family looked at her in shock.

"You can stay here for as long as you need baby and I promise we will help you through everything." her mother reassured her.

Katherine nodded but couldn't contain the sobs.