Fourty-Seven

"I got two pickles, I got two pickles, I got two pickles, hey! Hey! Hey!" Adelaine sang as her and Dylan walked down the aisle in the store. "Can we get pickles?" she asked making him laugh.

"Sure but we gotta find some food that mommy told us to get." he said. She nodded and held his hand while he held a shopping basket in his hand. She swung their hands a little which made him smile. Her other hand was occupied with one of her stuffed animals.

"Daddy, can we have pasghetti for dinner?" she asked him.

"Sure Angel." he smiled down at her. They continued walking through the aisle and occasionally grabbing things off of the list that

Amelia wasn't feeling very good so Katherine sent Dylan to the store to get some stuff and he brought Adelaine with him to get her away from her sick sister. As much as Amelia wanted Dylan to stay with her, Katherine knew he wouldn't be much help dealing with a sick child.

James has tried contacting Katherine several times but every time she tells him she isn't ready. At least now she has the excuse that Amelia is sick. Although she feels guilty every time, Dylan along with Shelley, Phoebe, and even Tyler keep reminding her that she owes him absolutely nothing.

Dylan picked Adelaine up onto his hip and let her pick out a box cake mix for them to make to cheer Amelia up.

"Mm." Adelaine tapped her chin making him chuckle before she grabbed one. "Rainbow." she showed him the funfetti mix. "Lia loves rainbows."

"I think she'll love it." he kissed her head and let her put it in the basket before a voice spoke from behind them.

"Dylan?" he turned and froze at who he was seeing.

His ex girlfriend Mandy.

(A/N: a lot of people make Britt the terrible ex girlfriend but I personally love her and don't want to make her a villain in this story. So I will be making up a character.)

"Mandy." he whispered through gritted teeth and a clenched jaw. His arm tightened around Adelaine who curled into his side.

"Dada, who's that?" she asked him quietly.

"No one sweetheart." he turned to walk away but not before she called after him.

"Dylan, wait!" Mandy ran after him and stopped in front of him. She held her hand up to his chest making him turn his body so that Adelaine was away from her. "You have a daughter?"

"What do you want?" he snapped.

"I-I just want to talk." she tried to put her hand on his arm but he moved away.

"I don't." he pushed past her.

"Please Dylan!" she followed after him. He set Adelaine down and she clung to his leg while he turned to his ex angrily.

"I've got a sick daughter at home, leave me the hell alone." he growled at her while putting a hand on Adelaine's head.

"You have two daughters?" she asked in disbelief. "You moved on?"

"I moved on after almost 10 years, you didn't." he told her angrily. Her brows furrowed in confusion before coming to a realization.

"But--"

"Don't!" he grabbed the basket of groceries and walked off with Adelaine who was staring at the woman with a look of confusion.

- - -

"There you are." Katherine grinned as Adelaine ran into the house with Dylan behind her.

She giggled and ran over to her mom who was making Amelia a cup of tea. Dylan walked over and kissed her cheek with a forced smile on his face.