What it takes to give up (27)

Jan's POV
My breath was short, my stomach empty. This trip had gone on too long. My hope had been torn out of my soul and spread on the ground to form the puddle I was struggling to get around. I didn't know where I was. I didn't know how to get back.
••

AJS POV
The woman danced with me. It's like... She was mocking me. Like she knew I was in love, and would find her beautiful. It's like she wanted me to abandon Jan. I did not resist her forcing me to dance, because I was powerless. But I would never give up on Jan. Eventually, the music stopped. She smiled at me for a few seconds, her teeth blinding me with utter whiteness. Her eyes suddenly turning harsh. Her hands, witch were placed on my hips, dug their nails in. I howled in pain as she threw me to the floor.
••

Jan's POV
My eyes had been deceiving me as of late, seeing strange colors or objects being twisted into crumpled figures. But nothing this strange. I was seeing... A clearing. And in this clearing, a cage. And in this cage... My girlfriend. I laughed and looked up at the sky. "You've had your fun now, world. This is just plain cruel." But nothing changed, so I decided to investigate my mirage. I walked over to the clearing cautiously, and walked to the mirage cage. My mirage girlfriend was lying on the ground, unconscious. I slumped over to mirage girlfriend and spoke to her. "So, I know this girl. She looks just like you. Except, she's real. Y'know?" No reply. "She's really pretty. But I just don't know if she knows it. If she met you, mirage girlfriend, she'd say you're pretty. You are." No reply. This was getting tiresome, I wanted to be over with this. I stood up, and ran to the mirage. I was prepared to run right through it, but I didn't. I hit the cage and passed out.
••