Living again (30)

AJ's POV

I wasn't in the hospital when Jan woke from her coma. I really wish I was. I was phoned by her parents. They were at work when they found out, and couldn't make it back to the hospital for another couple of hours. I was close, and they said they didn't want her to be alone. When I arrived, she was sleeping. I slipped carefully into her room, choking on the lump in my throat. I sat until she woke up.
••
Jan's POV

I'd heard doctors and nurses, but no one I recognized. I couldn't move my head, but I felt a presence of someone in the room with me.

"Hmrragh." I mumbled. I meant to say, "who's there?" But it didn't exactly work.

"Jan? Oh my god. Jan." I couldn't make out who it was, I couldn't open my eyes.

"It's true. You're back." The voice sounded sad, I wondered what I'd done wrong.

"Never do this to me again." What did I do?

I felt a hand touch mine. My eyes drifted open. I expected to see someone, but all I saw was black. I heard the person scream.

"W-what?" I mumbled.

Adria had seen my eyes. I never saw my eyes again. She says they where turned back as If I'd been possessed, as if I where a demon. My cancer had become too bad to fix, so my eyes where removed to prevent spread. They had given me blank glass eyes because nobody could agree on what color I should have. I fixed that.
••

I was released from the hospital 3 weeks later, blind, but living again. I
Was taught how to identify people by voice, how to get around, and best of all, I was given a guide dog. I chose a Husky-German Shepard mix that ran up to me when I went into the center. He was beautiful, and I called him Alpine.