chapter 26

Sunday, 16 January 1977

"Hey, Remus?" Frank asked.

"Yes, Frank," Remus said, turning to face Frank.

Frank was sitting on his bed, which was next to Remus'. Frank was currently messing around with the cords of his guitar. From his bed, Remus could see the markings Alice had put on Frank's guitar with black ink. Alice had drawn a few stars on the right side of the guitar. On the body of the guitar, she had written a message.

 On the body of the guitar, she had written a message

Next to it, Frank had written his own reply.

"May I ask why you're charming a bunch of quills to read out loud?"

For the past two hours, Remus had been using charms from a charms textbook he has taken out to enchant quills to read words both aloud. He also was trying to charm the quill to act as a pair of headphones without wires in case whoever was using the quill wanted to listen to what they were reading in private.

Unfortunately for Remus, his experimentation was not going well. So for the quills he had been using only spoke in gibberish or in French. He had finally gotten the quill to speak in English, but it only repeated whatever Remus said.

"Uhhh, boredom," Remus lied.

Frank laughed. "Alright. I'll pretend to believe you."

In truth, Remus wanted to give an enchanted quill to Lena. He had felt so terrible that he hadn't been able to help her go over her readings and notes after the full moon earlier in the month. He figured that the quill was a way he could be there for Lena when he couldn't be. She wouldn't need him to schedule study sessions with him to go over readings and notes. She could use it on exams to read questions, saving time to answer them. She could use it just to read for fun. Remus just wanted to help her and make her happy.

<><><><><>

Thursday, 20 January 1977

"How's it going over there you two?" Professor Slughorn asked as Regulus threw the Erumpent horn into the Erumpent Potion he and Lena were brewing in the Potions classroom.