chapter 70

Saturday, 31 October 1981

"Your pajama bottoms are very soft," Remus commented as he played with the waistline of the blue-checkered pajama bottoms as Dr. No played in the background.

"I know," Lena grinned, looking up at her long-time boyfriend. Her head was resting in his lap. "And you're a very nice pillow."

"It's one of my many attributes that people adore."

"Are you saying other people besides me use you as a pillow?"

"Never, I don't love anyone else enough to let them use me as a pillow."

Lena smiled and wrapped her arms around his waist and squeezed him tight. "Good."

"I'm very glad we have a flat and not a house," Remus said suddenly.

Lena laughed and reached to hold Remus' hand. "Yeah, why?"

"Well, if we had a house, then we'd have trick-or-treaters, which means the doorbell would be ringing all night."

"True, and we'd have to–"

Lena lifted her upper body from Remus's lap as she heard the doorbell ring.

"You jinxed it," Lena accused with a teasing glare.

"C'mon," Remus said, reaching for the bowl of candy they purchased just in case they did get trick-or-treaters.

"I think we'll get a vampire and a pirate," Lena predicted as they walked to the door.

"I'm personally leaning towards a witch and a werewolf," Remus grinned.

"You'd like that, wouldn't you," Lena spoke as she opened the door.

"Oh, it's you!" Lena said as she and Remus met the gaze of Mad-Eye Moody.

Moody's face was always grave, but it was even more severe than ever before.

"James and Lily are dead. Black betrayed them."

The bowl of sweets clattered to the floor.

Lena let out a cry and mouth trembled but no words came out.

Remus's eyes glazed. "He wouldn't. Sirius wouldn't. They can't be–"

"He did and they are, Remus!" Moody shouted. His voice was the least controlled they had ever heard.

Remus wrapped his arms tightly around Lena, attempting to calm her.

"Lena, your brother– Peter– he's dead. Black killed him."