chapter 44

Friday, 6 May 1977

"What's wrong, Reg?" Lena asked as they brewed their potion that smelled too much like rotten eggs for Lena's liking.

"My uncle Alphard died the other day," he murmured.

"Shit, Reg," Lena said. "I'm so sorry. Were you two close?"

Regulus nodded. His grey eyes seemed lighter than usual. "He was just really, really nice."

Lena smiled.

"He left me some money," Regulus said. "And Sirius, too."

Lena knew that Sirius would appreciate it. After he had been disowned, he didn't have a Knut to his name. If it hadn't been for the Potters, Sirius would have had nowhere to turn.

"That was really good of him."

"He got blasted off our family tree."

"What?"

"My mum blasted him off the Black family tree. It's traitorous to support a blood traitor, even in death."

"Shit."

"Shit's right, Lee."

"What do you think Sirius will do with the money?"

"Who knows. It's Sirius."

<><><><><>

"You don't need to move out!" James cried.

"I know, Prongs," Sirius said calmly. "I just feel like I'm taking advantage of your parents. And I'll be fine. Uncle Alphard left me a really generous amount of money."

"But you're not taking advantage of my parents! They love you! And I love you!"

"I love the three of you, too."

"But we're going to miss you!"

"I'll visit all the time."

Remus and Peter bit back laughs as they watched the exchange take place between James and Sirius.

"Where are you even going to live?"

"In a flat."

"Alone?"

"That's the idea."

"But you can't be all alone! What if you get hurt?"

"Then I'll go to St. Mungo's."

"What if you get so terribly injured that you can't go on your own and there's no one there to help you and you just die on the floor of your flat? And then you're going to traumatize me, Wormtail, and Moony when we find your body!"

Sirius' mouth dropped and James was breathing heavily.

Remus opened his mouth to speak. "Prongs, are you saying that Padfoot's going to get murdered?"

"Not necessarily. He could just be dumb and injure himself.

Remus thought about it for a moment and moved his head to the side and nodded in agreement. It was a reasonable possibility.

"Hey!"

"Well you do a bunch a dumb shit," Remus said.

"Yeah," Sirius pouted. "But you don't have to say it out loud."

Peter jumped up from his bed in excitement.

"I've got an idea!"

"That Sirius should keep living with me? I agree," James said.