chapter 62

Friday, 1 September 1978

Summer slipped through her fingers, Lena thought as she stood at Platform 9 ¾ to board the Hogwarts Express.
The summer had been fun, but exceptionally short compared to summers past.

Lena's time was occupied from going to Frank and Alice's wedding and then to James and Lily's. Lena was still shocked that Sirius and Gwen hadn't eloped this summer. It seemed like something they would do. Well, at least something Sirius would do. Somewhere in between that time, Lena had gone to stay with her maternal grandparents for two weeks. And while she loved them dearly, there was only so much fruitcake and Charlie Chaplin movies a girl could take. Most of her nights were taken up with summer school work that seemed to accumulate each time she completed an assignment.

But in reality, everything was slipping through her fingers. At least, that's how it felt to her and how could it not?

Today, she will begin her last year at Hogwarts, her last year of security, her last year of having a plan she knew would work.

"Goodbye sweetheart," Lisa said, stroking both of Lena's cheeks with her thumbs. "You're going to have such a wonderful year! I just know it!"

Lena grinned widely and pulled her into a hug. "Thanks, Mum!"

"I'll miss you so much, Lena," Lisa murmured as she kissed her daughter's cheek. "I love you." She said it with such firmness and conviction that it made Lena forget about all their arguments for a moment.

"I love you too, Mum."

Peter pulled her into a hug soon after. "I'll see you at Christmas, Lee. Have fun this year."

"Thanks, Pete," Lena said, pecking him on the cheek.

Mark soon pulled Lena into a bear hug. Her mouth and nose were pressed against his chest, making it difficult to breathe. Still she didn't pull away. Her dad always gives the best hugs. They were the kinds of hugs that made someone feel completely enveloped in love and that whatever pain and sorrow that they felt would dissipate forever.

"I love you, muffin," Mark said into his daughter's brown locks.

"I love you too, Dad." Her voice came out muffled.

"Take good care of yourself."

"You too, Dad."

<><><><><>

Lena let out a scream.

"I didn't realize I was that terrifying to look out."

Lena left her trunk on the floor of the compartment. She'd deal with it later.

Lena plopped down next to Remus and wrapped her arms around him, kissing him firmly.

"What are you doing here?!" Lena cried, unable to contain her smile. "We said goodbye to each other yesterday!"

"Well I wanted to see you again," Remus said, kissing her once again.

"You could've said goodbye to me on the platform."

"I could've, but I don't think your dad and brother would appreciate me kissing you in front of them."

"Look at you always thinking ahead," Lena grinned.

"Besides, I wanted to give you something in private."

Lena smirked. "Is it naughty?"

"What? No! I mean, unless you want something naughty, but then I'd have to come back later. And even if I went to get you something naughty, I wouldn't get back here in time, so then I'd have to—"

Lena let out a little laugh. "I'm just teasing, babe."

"Oh, thank God."

"So, what did you bring?"

Remus reached into jacket pocket and pulled out a folded up piece of parchment.

"Is it your map?" Lena asked in disbelief.

"Well, yeah. I'm not gonna give you a blank parchment paper," Remus.

"But you worked so hard on it! I can't take it!" Lena said, stunned that he was given this to her.

"What am I going to do with it? I won't even be at Hogwarts," Remus replied.

Lena groaned. "Don't remind me."

"I know it'll seem long, but it'll be okay," Remus began. "I can visit you on Hogsmeade trips. And if someone had possession of a map that showed the locations of people and different passageways out Hogwarts, that someone could meet their boyfriend."

Lena simply kissed him.

"So, can I take that as you're taking the map?" Remus mumbled against her lips.

She let out a little laugh as she continued kissing him. "Yes."

"Good."

<><><><><>

Tuesday, 12 September 1978

It was a sad house. A very sad one at that, Remus thought as waited in the main foyer.

The wallpaper, a dark grey accented with swirls of black, was peeling off and had water patches in some areas. There was definitely black mold somewhere in this house. The lighting fixture, which covered the lightbulbs with something that was reminiscent of a tortoise shell, only seemed to highlight the bad areas of the room. All the furniture, which was mahogany, had no shine and was painted a deep olive green. Everything about the room was stifled and uncomfortable.

Of course a house like this was perfect for a secret meeting of the Order of the Phoenix.

"Excellent, you're here!" Dumbledore exclaimed, clasping Remus' hand in his. "Come with me and then we can begin."

"I'm sorry for being late, Professor. I didn't realize everyone was waiting on me," Remus apologized as he followed Dumbledore down the corridor.

"No reason to be sorry. You're fifteen minutes early. I told some of the members we were meeting at six o'clock instead of seven o'clock. They have a penchant for being late."

"I see," Remus nodded.

As he placed his hand on the doorknob, Dumbledore turned to face him.

"And Remus, there's no reason to call me Professor. You're no longer a student."

<><><><><>

"I have called this meeting of the Order of the Phoenix today to induct new members," Dumbledore spoke.

Remus moved his eyes around the room, taking everyone in.

Dumbledore's younger brother Aberforth and the famed Auror Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody were there. Dedalus Diggle and Elphias Doge sat beside each other. Emmeline Vance, who was two years ahead of Remus at school, stood in the corner of the room with her arms crossed. Hagrid was sitting on the aubergine-colored couch. Mundungus Fletcher, Edgar Bones, and Sturgis Podmore were huddled together in the corner. Dorcas sat beside Marlene. Fabian and Gideon Prewett sat across from Benjy Fenwick and Caradoc Dearborn. Alice and Lily sat with the husbands and Sirius stood behind Gwen. Remus himself was settled next to Peter.

"For those of you who do not know, this is Black, Frank and Alice Longbottom, Remus Lupin, Marlene McKinnon, Dorcas Meadowes, Peter Pettigrew, James and Lily Potter, and Guinevere Rowle. Each of them has demonstrated loyalty, bravery, and pure hearts. I have spoken to all of them and know that it is their wish to make this world safer and better."

Dumbledore looked around the room. "Does anyone have any objections?"

The room was silent. Only encouraging looks and smiles were shared.

Dumbledore turned his twinkling blue eyes and attention to his most recent graduates.

"Welcome to the Order of the Phoenix."