Chapter Twenty-Five [Part II]

This took me forever, I know! To make it up to you all...the Epilogue is already completed and will be posted right after this chapter. It was actually finished before this chapter lmao.

Thank you to all the readers, commenters, and voters. I really do look forward to the comments y'all leave!! Some of y'all are fucking hilarious.

Don't forget to vote and comment! As always, be safe & healthy. Enjoy the chapter!

Dominic, Maurice, and Victor were still in the truck.

The sun was on its last legs of setting for the night. They had been on the road, silent, for the past hour before Maurice spoke up. "What are you trying to prove by doing this, Vic?" He asked.

"Don't got nothing to prove, Maurice. This is just righting a wrong." Vic's tone was empty, the words almost mechanical.

"And what about Mami? And Pop and Angel? You're willing to hurt them? Make them go through losing the both of us again?" Dominic asked.

Vic's arm was leaning atop the backseats, the gun still aimed at Dominic. He'd been playing with the gun's safety—flicking back and forth, on and off. His finger paused with the safety off at the sound of Dominic's voice.

"They'll learn to adjust. Take this next exit, go around the curve, then stop the truck next to the biggest boulder." His finger went back to flicking the safety back and forth.

Maurice drove, following the directions while trying to keep an eye on the rearview mirror. He was helpless in the situation, and that didn't sit right with him at all. The roads were deserted and any non-approved move he made would end with a bullet to Dominic's head before his own. 

He parked the truck next to the boulder, but kept his hands glued to the steering wheel. His fingers were so numb, way past the point of feeling the pain of his tight grip. His eyes scanned the front of the truck, moving frantically trying to look for a way out.

"Give me the keys." Vic ordered. Maurice handed them back without a word. "Out of the truck. You first." Maurice flinched at the gun's nudge to his shoulder. He opened the door and stepped out. His hand was on the edge of the door when Victor spoke up again. "Did I tell you to shut the door? Move like that again and bullets will start flying."

His attention then turned to Dominic, who was staring back at him, nose bruised and bloodied from earlier. "You next, Lover Boy. Open the door slow. Slide out slow."

"This isn't going to solve or change anything, Victor." Dominic whispered. "You know that."

Victor flicked the safety off and pointed the gun between Dom's eyes. "Open the door slow. Slide out slow."

With one last look at his brother, Dominic did as he said, exiting the car with the slowest movements he could manage. Victor shuffled out after him, slamming the car door behind him. He raised his gun, motioning for Maurice to do the same. When that was done, Vic nodded his head to the left, towards a tall desert tree standing just a few feet away from a cliff. Maurice didn't need to look any closer to know they were hundreds of feet above whatever was underneath them. A small piece of him knew at least one of them were going to be thrown over it, no matter how much he tried to hope for the best. Victor was a wild card—the most unpredictable one at that.

Maurice was shoulder to shoulder with Dominic, Victor right behind him. He couldn't get a reading off his best friend. He knew the man had to be terrified—the nightmare that's haunted him for half his life has ripped his boyfriend from him and potentially walking him to his death. But Maurice knew deep inside that he was scared more for Luis. He'd be the same way if he knew Sara wasn't safe. Then he remembered, he may never see his wife again. The thought made him stumble over his own feet. Just as his knees buckled, a hand gripped his upper arm tightly.