Prelude

Luis Williams sighed as he slumped against the driver's seat of his Honda Civic. He had spent the last fifteen minutes trying to console the emotional woman on the other line of the phone call.

"Luis, baby, I'm so sorry that date didn't work out. I should've known he was no good."

"Sara, girl, it's fine. You wouldn't have known he was going to stand me up." He massaged the area between his eyes as his frustrations started to turn into a headache. The clock on the screen above his steering wheel said 8:50 AM in white, blockish font. It's way too early for this.

"But I should've! He's one of Lory's friends. You know hoes only have hoes for friends." Luis chuckled.

"Leave your sister be. She's single. She's being safe. She's having fun. Not everyone wants to find their soulmate and be married in their early twenties."

"Yeah, but you do." Luis winced at hearing the emphasis on you. "And leave me and Maurice out of this! Like I was going to let another girl hop on his dick. He's stuck with me and he loves it." They both chuckled. "But seriously, out of all of us, Luis, you deserve to be loved. Oh! Maurice said there's a new firefighter down at the station. I'm sure he wouldn't mind sliding your number into his locker!"

"Now you're starting to become a little stalker-ish and I don't want you dragging Maurice into your schemes."

"Oh, please. I have this cute little nightie that gets him right in the—"

"Alright. Let's stop this right here so I don't find out things I shouldn't know." Luis smiled at Sara's, always so giddy at the mention of her husband. "It's almost time for my shift to start, so I gotta go, mama."

"I guess that's a good enough excuse to let you go." She let out a dramatic sigh. "You're still coming tonight, though, right?"

"Of course. When do I ever miss our Friday night shenanigans? I'll just be a little late. The bank's testing out some new late hours and I volunteered to take the first week."

"Aw! Look at my best friend! Such a helpful elf!" Luis raised his eyebrow.

"Yeah. Sure. I'll see you tonight, Sara." He chuckled at his friends giggling send off. The screen on the dashboard changed from the phone call details to the clock. It showed 8:56 AM.

Luis collected his phone, wallet, and lunch bag sitting it the passenger seat before exiting his car. He looked down at himself. His black dress pants and green button up were wrinkle free, just as it was when he left his apartment earlier that morning. He looked at his reflection in the driver's window. Light brown skin, small, but full, pouty lips, and a fresh, Caesar faded haircut started back at him. He swiped a hand over his hair, smoothing down any flyaways before walking towards the entrance of the bank. He smiled at the janitor wiping down one of the glass doors and returned his greeting.

Every day was the same for Luis. Greet the janitor. Place his lunch bag in the break room. Take his place at the counter. Lunch at 1:00 PM. Head home at 5:00 PM— usually. But with the new hours, he wouldn't be leaving until 6:00 PM.

He didn't complain, though. He never did when it came to extra money.

The bank was on one of the busiest streets in the downtown area of the city. From Monday to Saturday, there was always heavy foot traffic, so this Friday was no different.

Luis had been working there for almost five years and grew up around the area. Many of the people that came in he either already knew or became familiar with during his time there. There was one individual, however, that would be making their first visit to Luis' bank and change his life as he knew it.