Chapter 6

"Go on! Featherpaw, Rainpaw, you two work together and attack Willowpaw and Bramblepaw." Froststar ordered, while Leafshade, Bramblepaw's mentor, watched in silence. "Willowpaw and Bramblepaw, you two try to fend them off." That's not quite fair, is it?

Froststar seemed to read her mind and turned to them again, "you two know they're new apprentices, so don't be hard on them."

"Of course!" Rainpaw exclaimed. She's my best friend! I'm going to trick her though... it'll be great!

"I'm going to beat you all!" Bramblepaw boasted.

"You bet! We're way better than you! We trained before!" Featherpaw scoffed, rude, but Rainpaw saw that she was just joking.

With a yowl, Bramblepaw charged ahead, tried to pounce on Featherpaw, but she dodged.

Willowpaw was a little more nervous, but charged towards Rainpaw, Rainpaw tensed, and dodged her too. Willowpaw fell heavily, "oomph!" And straightened up.

Willowpaw ran towards Rainpaw again, and Rainpaw let her pounce on her. With a triumphant yowl, Willowpaw and Rainpaw tussled, as Rainpaw remembered her training with Froststar. Go limp. Froststar had told her.

Rainpaw relaxed her muscled, allowing herself to be limp. "I got you!" Willowpaw's eyes gleamed, and stood on Rainpaw's underbelly. Froststar looked at Rainpaw, her eyes glowing with pride. She knows what I'm going to do! And so does Leafshade!

Rainpaw felt excitement prick through her as Leafshade called to Willowpaw, though eyes gleaming, "great job Willowpaw!"

"Thank..." Willowpaw looked happy, no clue what was about to happen.

Suddenly, Rainpaw surged upwards, pushing Willowpaw off. "Wh-wha?" Willowpaw spluttered unbelievably. Rainpaw didn't waste a breath to answer her.

She pounced onto Willowpaw, driving her breath out. Rainpaw raised her paw on her neck, and Willowpaw's eyes widened as she saw her best friend's menacing gaze. Willowpaw closed her eyes. She looks so afraid! I got her so good! Rainpaw almost gave way of her menacing gaze.

She lowered her paw, and went back to normal. "Was that good Froststar?" Rainpaw glanced at her littermate, she was still tussling with Bramblepaw.

"That-that-there is no words! I can't believe you remembered what I told you! I'm so proud." Froststar's tail curled up in amusement as Willowpaw got up.

Leafshade purred, "great move Rainpaw! Great job! Both of you!" He raked his gaze across them.

"What happened?" Bramblepaw panted, he was just beaten down by Featherpaw. Wow, they really fought! Rainpaw could see sand, mud, and debris in their pelts, they were ruffled and matted with leaves all over.

Featherpaw shook her pelt, getting off all the debris possible. "Ugh! Disgusting! Bramblepaw, you really fought well!" Featherpaw exclaimed. Bramblepaw's eyes shone in pride at the older apprentice's praise. They do look battered! Rainpaw thought, amused.

"You guys really look battered!" Willowpaw stared, looking unbelievably at the two dirty apprentices.

"Yeah," Rainpaw added.

"Great job all of you! You may all go and eat now, go and rest." Froststar flicked her tail, gesturing the training session was over, and added, "Rainpaw, come to my den later, I have to tell you something." There was a strange gleam in her eyes which made Rainpaw nervous but excited.

"Okay," Rainpaw nodded, is this something about why I'm special?

"Go on then, get some rest." Froststar followed Rainpaw behind.

"Hey Featherpaw! Willowpaw! Want to share this carp with me?" Rainpaw called to her friends.

"Yes!" Featherpaw, who was sitting beside the fresh-kill pile, turned her head sharply and called back.

"Oh me too!" Willowpaw padded to them, and called to his brother, "wanna come share with us too?" With a 'is that okay?' Look before Rainpaw nodded.

"Coming!" Bramblepaw hurried towards them, smoothing out messy his pelt caused by the training, and joined them. It's so good being with my Clan, Rainpaw settled down beside Featherpaw and Willowpaw.

***

"Froststar?" Rainpaw called by the fern tunnel leading into Froststar's den. What in StarClan is she going to tell me? Rainpaw wondered, I'm dying to know! Rainpaw scuffled the ground with her front paws.

"Come in!" Froststar's voice echoed from her den. Rainpaw padded in slowly, and saw Froststar ahead.

"What are you going to tell me?" Rainpaw finally blurted out.

"As I told you before, you are special." Froststar locked her gaze with Rainpaw's. But how?

"I-I-I can't be!" Rainpaw protested like she had the other day. Her mind whirled, her, leader of RainClan, ruling the Clan. But I can't be leader! Right? I'm not good enough!

"Go to Cloudheart, she has something to tell you, not me." Froststar nodded at the medicine cat's den. Rainpaw looked expectantly at her, waiting for her to say more, but she said nothing.

"Okay," Rainpaw dipped her head, and headed out of the den.

"Cloudheart?" Rainpaw asked nervously, she didn't know what to expect. What is going to happen next? Rainpaw didn't know, just waited.

"Rainpaw! I have to tell you something." Cloudheart poked out of the den, "come on in! Ashtail is out gathering herbs with Amberpaw!"

"So? What are you going to tell me?" Rainpaw asked, meeting her gaze. Cloudheart's eyes darkened.

"You have a prophecy over you, Rainpaw." Cloudheart told Rainpaw solemnly. Is that good or bad?

"What is it?" Rainpaw asked again.

"Listen. You will be the greatest, you will love a cat who you will need to ignore until you are. Don't let him disturb you!" Cloudheart told Rainpaw.

I will love a cat? Does she mean Bramblepaw? Surely not! I don't even know if he likes me back! Oh StarClan, what does this mean! Rainpaw felt devastated. And I will be the greatest? Am I going to become a leader?

"Thanks for telling me Cloudheart." Rainpaw nodded, still thinking.

"I know it's complicated, just think it through, I understand. You should rest now, Froststar tells me it's been a long day for you." Cloudheart's eyes were sympathetic. Rainpaw gave her thanks, and padded out of the cave. What could it possibly mean?

***

Rainpaw curled up in her nest, lost in thought, if only I knew! Sighing, she settled down but felt restless. I do like Bramblepaw, but do I really love him? He's nice, but I don't think he would love me. Rainpaw rolled onto her back, accidentally touching Featherpaw.

"What is it Rainpaw?" Featherpaw's mew was sleepy. And now I've woken Featherpaw!

"Nothing, go back to sleep." Rainpaw told her sister softly, Featherpaw mumbled and fell into sleep again. Rainpaw looked at her fall asleep and finally felt a little sleepy, after waiting for what seemed like moons. She yawned and rolled on her side again, feeling less restless, her thoughts cleared, and she drifted into sleep.