Chapter 10

"RainClan attack!" Firefeather yowled a signal.

"RiverClan attack!" RiverClans deputy yowled.

Rainpaw rushed forward, picking on a huge tabby tom with Willowpaw behind her. Rainpaw unsheathed her claws, ready to claw at the warrior.

"Together," Willowpaw hissed, and Rainpaw nodded, I can't do this by myself either!

They pounced, clawing at the warrior. He didn't budge at the blows, but just gave both of them a hard bite on their fur. Rainpaw screeched and Willowpaw winced, but kept clawing.

Rainpaw suddenly remembered the belly rake move, and concentrated. "Help me Rainpaw!" Willowpaw yelled in confusion as Rainpaw halted, but she ignored her. Aim at his belly, now! She pounced, leaping up, and twisted, unsheathing her claws in mid-air.

She clawed furiously at the warrior's belly, how dare you hurt my best friend! She growled suddenly, and new energy surged through her. She flung the warrior away with a hard push at his belly.

"Ow!" The warrior screeched somewhere behind her. I've just thrown him like prey! Rainpaw thought triumphantly.

"Wow! Great job!" Willowpaw exclaimed.

"Yeah, one down, but we've got more to go!" Rainpaw rushed ahead and met an apprentice, it was smaller than Rainpaw, about the same size as Willowpaw.

The tiny apprentice looked wide eyed at Rainpaw, but she took no notice. Rainpaw pounced at the apprentice, and the apprentice screeched in pain, backing away quickly.

"Such a scardey-mouse!" Willowpaw scoffed, and followed Rainpaw to get the apprentice. It's just an apprentice like us... no, who am I kidding? He's my enemy! Rainpaw flung herself at the apprentice again, and this time, the apprentice fought back. He growled, and clawed Rainpaw's flank.

Rainpaw felt pain rush through her, but didn't show weakness, Willowpaw clawed the apprentice's nose, and scarlet blood dripped out. With a yowl, the apprentice rolled on the ground in pain, and pounced onto Willowpaw's back, they tussled together as Rainpaw slashed at the apprentices back, making it get off Willowpaw.

It yowled again and backed off, running back into the crowd of cats.

"Let's go get fighting!" Rainpaw growled, and saw the RiverClan deputy, Riverflow, fighting Bramblepaw, he was bleeding badly and was about to fall unconscious. Bramblepaw! Rainpaw thought urgently, and was about to tell Willowpaw.

"Bramblepaw!" Willowpaw's eyes widened. Rainpaw didn't reply, but ran ahead as fast as she could and creeped up behind Riverflow.

Willowpaw followed silently, seeming to know what Rainpaw was thinking about.

Rainpaw pounced, slashing at the deputy's back, and growled in his ear. "Stop torturing apprentices, will you?" With a furious growl, the deputy, shook Rainpaw off, but Willowpaw clawed his nose as he did with the apprentice. The deputy didn't even scream.

Bramblepaw quickly backed away to find another warrior, and breathed, "thanks,"

"No problem." Rainpaw panted.

The deputy just stomped forward, about to bite into Willowpaw's neck. "You won't!" Rainpaw yelled, biting his tail hard. The deputy yowled furiously, shaking blood off of his tail.

"Thanks," Willowpaw panted, but Rainpaw just flicked her tail in acknowledgement. She ran, pouncing on the deputy's back, and bit into his scruff.

"Mrroww! That hurts!" Riverflow tried to shake Rainpaw off, but was too feeble to do anything. He looks beaten up, which means we should let him go. Rainpaw thought grimly. Waving her tail at Willowpaw, signaling to back off, Willowpaw nodded, backing away.

"RiverClan, retreat!" Riverflow gathered up his strength and called the warriors back.

"Who is he kidding? We were supposed to win this battle, not lose it!" Rainpaw heard one of them complain. Do you even know how badly hurt your deputy is? Rainpaw thought, amused.

"That was... intense" Willowpaw fought to find the words.

Rainpaw purred, "we chased off that stupid deputy at least!"

"Yeah, we make a great team!" Willowpaw agreed.

"Let's go report back to Firefeather." Rainpaw padded back to where the RainClan cats were.

"Is every cat here now?" Firefeather asked.

"No," Streamfur answered grimly, the deputy swung her gaze to him.

"Who?"

"Fernshadow..." Rainpaw's father replied, sorrow filled his gaze as he flicked his tail at the body.

"No!" Willowpaw wailed, "not my mentor!"

"I'm so sorry," Rainpaw murmured to her friend. But Willowpaw was too sad to reply.

"Willowpaw..." Bramblepaw limped forward, touching his nose to his sister's flank. Not Fernshadow! Rainpaw wanted to scream.

"Oh, Fernshadow, you were a great friend." Firefeather murmured softly.

Lightnose and Streamfur twined their tails together as they mourned the fallen warrior. Rainpaw ran towards them, and buried her muzzle into theirs. I know I look like a kit, but... Rainpaw thought helplessly.

"Is anyone badly hurt then?" Firefeather straightened up.

"No, not me," Rainpaw lied, it stung like fire had burned her pelt.

"Not me," Willowpaw whispered in a small voice.

Bramblepaw shifted his paws, looking like he's wondering if he should tell the deputy. He doesn't need to, cause I will! Rainpaw pointed at Bramblepaw, "well, he is really badly hurt."

"It's not that bad." Bramblepaw protested, though his fur was stained with blood. Firefeather's eyes widened as she saw the damage.

"You'd better get to Cloudheart, now!" She ordered, and Bramblepaw dipped his head, and headed back inside the camp.

"If you think your wound really needs treating, go to Cloudheart first!" Firefeather ordered the warriors. Should I go? Maybe second, I'm not that badly hurt. Rainpaw hesitated, her wounds stung like fury, but she didn't want to go first since there were cats that had way more serious wounds than her.

Willowpaw and Rainpaw exchanged a glance, and Rainpaw shook her head, let's go second. Rainpaw willed Willowpaw to understand, and she nodded, though her gaze was still sorrowful.

"Okay, stay still." Cloudheart slapped some cobweb on Rainpaw's wound that was bleeding badly. Rainpaw winced, it hurts so much! Can I even handle this much? Rainpaw doubted she could, but was quite confident she could at the same time.

"Here, eat some of this, this will soothe your shock." Cloudheart put some herbs in front of Rainpaw.

Rainpaw nodded, and licked up the herbs, screwing up her face, but tried to stay calm. Swallowing, Rainpaw licked her lips, trying to get the foul taste off.

"You're good to go now. You'd better get some sleep if you're going to sit vigil for Fernshadow tonight." Cloudheart told Rainpaw after he finished putting on her wounds.

"Okay," Rainpaw dipped her head and limped into the apprentices den. Her wound still hurt, but she ignored it. A good warrior wouldn't get beaten down by wounds! I have to stay strong! Rainpaw shuffled in her nest, and closed her eyes, waiting for sleep to come.