Chapter 12

"Willowpaw! Featherpaw! Come and help me!" Rainpaw called to her denmates.

"Okay! Be patient." Featherpaw muttered, but padded towards Rainpaw.

"Coming!" Willowpaw speeded up, catching up to Rainpaw in a heartbeat.

"Well, who's got the mouse bile?" Rainpaw asked looking at her friends.

"Me." Featherpaw muttered, "why did I get the mouse bile anyways. Ugh. Disgusting!" Featherpaw complained to herself.

"We didn't tell you to!" Willowpaw protested.

"Whatever." Featherpaw catches up to them.

Rainpaw rolled her eyes dramatically, "so when are we going into the den now?"

"Now!" Willowpaw raced into the den and called, "whoever's last to be in the den is a fish-brain!"

"Hey! Not fair!" Rainpaw yelled, and sped ahead as quick as possible with Featherpaw at her tail, dirt sprayed all over Featherpaw and she shouted. I'm going to reach it first!

"Rainpaw!" Featherpaw stormed forwards, but Rainpaw was quicker, she stepped into the elders den a heartbeat before Featherpaw.

"You're a fish brain!" Rainpaw teased Featherpaw.

"Who told you to spray dirt all over me!" Featherpaw grumbled, shaking her pelt so that the dirt would get off.

"Umm," Rainpaw and Willowpaw exchanged glances. "Let's just pretend that never happened..." Featherpaw rolled her eyes.

"So are you apprentices gonna even do our ticks or just stand there waiting for fresh-kill to fly into your mouth huh?" Whiskerfur complained. Oops!

"Sorry," Rainpaw quickly hurried towards Whiskerfur while the other two apprentices went to Grassfur and Snowflake.

"That's much better," Whiskerfur grunted. Whatever, let's just get this over with. Rainpaw screwed up her nose.

"Do y'all want to hear a story of how I chased a huge dog away?" Hawkflight asked the apprentices. Oh yes! Rainpaw jumped excitedly.

"Yes! Please?" Featherpaw begged.

"O' course," Hawkflight shuffled into a good position and began. "So when I was a young 'un like you, and I was hunting until I saw this huge dog! It was massive, as big as two cats!" Hawkflight's eyes widened, and his fur bushed up into twice his size.

"Woah, and you fought it off?" Rainpaw stared at the elder in awe.

"Yeah, it almost bit me and I could've died!" Hawkflight's voice deepened, eyes darkening.

"Oh no!" Willowpaw breathed.

"Hey, don't stop!" Whiskerfur snapped at Rainpaw, she was so interested in the story she forgot that she was pulling off ticks.

"Oops, sorry!" Rainpaw quickly dabbed a tick with mouse bile, and it came off. "So then I ran and ran, and the dog chased and chased. I couldn't get it to leave me alone!" Hawkflight continued.

"And then?" Willowpaw and Featherpaw asked Hawkflight eagerly.

"So then I had to fight it! I clawed it's muzzle and blood sprayed everywhere! It snapped at me and bit my leg! It was so painful I could hardly even fight!" Hawkflight closed his eyes as if he was there again. Wow, that must have been scary! Rainpaw thought in dismay.

They spent the morning doing ticks and listening to Hawkflight's story.

***

"Leafshade, Rainpaw, me, Willowpaw will go on the dawn patrol. Leafshade can lead it." Firefeather ordered. The sun was rising and it was dawn now. Dawn patrol. Rainpaw sighed, at least she was with Willowpaw.

"I'm with Leafshade and you!" Willowpaw whispered to Rainpaw, eyes sparkling happily. Well, it seems like Willowpaw likes Leafshade now. Rainpaw suppressed a purr of amusement.

"What?" Willowpaw looked flustered, "I just like him!" She nudged Rainpaw, "didn't you say you liked Bramblepaw?"

"Umm, never mind about that..." Rainpaw muttered.

"Hey Willowpaw! I missed you!" Leafshade padded beside Willowpaw, and their fur touched.

Willowpaw blushed, and stammered, "I-I-uh-missed-uh-you-too-uh!" Leafshade and Willowpaw locked their eyes together for a few heartbeats. Firefeather and Rainpaw exchanged glances of amusement and Rainpaw knew the deputy was also thinking, they're definitely in love. Rainpaw giggled, which made Willowpaw and Leafshade break their locked gaze.

"Uhhh," Willowpaw and Leafshade broke apart immediately, "did you-uh-see-uh what we-uh did?" Willowpaw hissed at Rainpaw.

"Yup, I saw everything, but don't worry! I'm fine with it." Rainpaw flicked her tail mischievously. And you two are going to have wonderful kits! Rainpaw wanted to add, but swallowed back the words.

"Uh, just please don't tell Bramblepaw or any cat!" Willowpaw begged, shuffling her paws in dismay.

"Come on," Leafshade tried to hide his embarrassment. Romantic. Rainpaw thought in disgust, rolling her eyes.

"Any scents?" Rainpaw asked, I can't smell any anyways.

"Nope," Willowpaw sniffed the air, and shook her head.

"I can't smell any either." Firefeather replied, nodding.

"Can we go catch some prey?" Rainpaw asked, licking her lips. "My belly thinks my throat is clawed out!" She exaggerated.

"Of course!" Leafshade agreed, "I'm quite hungry too!"

"Come on!" Willowpaw urged, "I think I smell squirrel!"

"I'll go by The Stream if that's okay, I'm going to catch some fish." Rainpaw suggested.

"Sure Rainpaw, you can go, meet us back at camp." Leafshade nodded.

"Make sure to bring some prey back too for the Clan!" Firefeather called to Rainpaw.

"Okay! I will!" Rainpaw promised them, and bounded back into the direction of the camp.

***

"Hey Ashtail, Cloudheart, and Amberpaw! I've brought you fresh-kill," Rainpaw padded into the den, dropping the prey at the medicine cat's paws.

"Thanks Rainpaw! I'm sooo hungry!" Amberpaw thanked Rainpaw.

"No problem old friend! Always here to help!" Rainpaw joked. It's so good to talk to her again! I know it hasn't been long but it seems so distant!

"Rainpaw, come," Cloudheart rose to her paws.

"What?" Rainpaw was confused now.

"We need to talk," Cloudheart explained.

"Okay," Rainpaw felt uncomfortable, but followed Cloudheart. There's something she's not telling me.

"So?" Rainpaw prompted when they were out of sight.

"Did you think of the prophecy?" Cloudheart asked after a few heartbeats.

"What? I don't know what it means yet!" Rainpaw was caught off guard. I mean, I do, but it can't be possible!

"Good, so you did think of it." Cloudheart nodded.

"Can you tell me what it means?" Rainpaw begged. Just tell me! And everything would be much clearer!

"I do not hold the answers Rainpaw, you have to figure it out yourself. Even StarClan may not always hold the answers, but they trust you to figure it out." Cloudheart shook her head.

"I guess," Rainpaw fought to yell, do you know how hard that is? Ugh! But stopped herself.

"I know it's hard Rainpaw, but you will be able to." Cloudheart seemed to read her thoughts.

"Maybe," Rainpaw wasn't confused by the prophecy. I kind of do know, but how can it be that I'm going to be a leader? And someone I love is going to distract me? I don't know!