Chapter 27

"Dawnstar! Dawnstar!" Rainfur rushed to the medicine cat den as soon as she heard Dawnstar coughing.

"Rainfur." Dawnstar's voice filled with pain. "I think I got greencough."

"No. No. NO!" Rainfur cried in vain.

"We couldn't avoid it." Cloudheart sighed. "We tried. But she still caught greencough. It's already really common in greenleaf."

"We're so sorry." Amberfur agreed solemnly.

"I understand. I just hope she can still recover." Rainfur stared at Dawnstar. I know it's probably impossible now. She looks weaker than ever.

"It's a very small chance." Cloudheart shook her head.

"I know that too." Dawnstar sighed. "But Rainfur, I heard you've been doing great controlling the Clan without me."

"I was only doing my job." Rainfur blushed as her leader praised her.

"Of course you were." Dawnstar purred, but got stopped by another convulsion.

"Dawnstar!" Rainfur pressed her muzzle beside hers. She felt the heat on Dawnstar, and she started to cough again. Please don't die on me.

"This happens to her every now and then. We can't do anything about it. We can try some more catmint." Amberfur looked at Cloudheart hopefully.

"No, it's no use. Don't waste your herbs on me. I'm ready to join StarClan soon. I feel them calling to me." Dawnstar looked up at her and rasped.

"Are you sure?" Cloudheart hesitated.

"Yes." Dawnstar replied without thinking for a heartbeat.

"If that's what you want." Cloudheart dipped her head respectfully. We can't do anything for her except watch her suffer. This feels so... wrong. Rainfur couldn't bear to watch anymore, and turned away.

"Dawnstar, would you like some prey?"

"Bring her some water as well." Amberfur added.

"Okay, I'll be right back." Rainfur was relieved to leave the den, it smelled so much better outside instead of the smell of sickness and infection. Smells like mouse-bile, even. Wrinkling her nose, she quickly picked a plump vole from the fresh-kill pile and went to gather some moss and water. She came back to the medicine den and dropped the moss with water and prey. "Here."

"Thanks." Dawnstar grunted, and sat up to lap at the moss. Rainfur looked at her with concern as she lay down with a thump, breathing heavily.

Suddenly, she stopped breathing, with a gasp of horror, Rainfur yowled. "Dawnstar!" She's losing a life. Just like this. Rainfur stared at the medicine cats. "Can't you do anything?" She growled.

"No. There's nothing we can do now. StarClan is taking her." Amberfur shook her head sadly.

Dawnstar blinked and spluttered blood everywhere. "Rainfur. I think it is finally time." She coughed. "To become the leader of RainClan." Her eyes locked with Rainfur's.

"No. Not yet." Rainfur whispered.

"It must be this way. Be brave, Rainfur." Dawnstar

sighed, shuddered, and stopped breathing.

"NO!" Rainfur howled as Dawnstar never opened her eyes again. She's dead. She's dead! And now... I can finally finish my destiny. Her tail drooped.

"Rainfur? What happened?" Willowheart ran to Rainfur as she heard her yowl. Then, she saw Dawnstar, lying on the ground. Dead. "She's dead?" She whispered.

Rainfur nodded. "My turn now." Sighing, she left the den. Her clanmates surrounded her, assuring her that she will be a fine leader.

"Dawnstar's dead." She whispered over and over again. "We'll bury her later." She told Featherhawk bluntly.

"Of course we will." Featherhawk sighed, her gaze mournful.

"Come on, Rainfur. We should go soon." Cloudheart murmured to Rainfur gently.

"Go?" Rainfur echoed. "Where?"

"The Moonpool." Cloudheart told her.

"Oh." Rainfur's heart dropped. My nine lives and the 'star' in my name. "Okay. Now?" She turned back and stared at the clearing, all her clanmates stared at her in respect. They already treat me like a leader. But I'm not ready yet. I will be, after this trip.

"Let's go then, we ought to be back before moonhigh for sitting vigil and announcing your new deputy." Cloudheart looked up at the moon.

"I'm coming." Rainfur sighed, and followed Cloudheart into the valley.

******

"We're here!" Cloudheart announced. They stood in front of a pool of shining water. It's... beautiful. Rainfur stared at it in awe.

"What do I do?" Shaking her thoughts away, Rainfur asked Cloudheart.

"Lay down comfortably and touch your nose on the water surface. You should be taken to StarClan. See you there." Cloudheart's eyes glimmered. Rainfur did what she said.

Laying down on a smooth rock, Rainfur gently dipped her nose into the pool. It felt... tingly, and cold. She closed her eyes, and waited.

"Greetings, Rainfur!" Froststar's voice made Rainfur open her eyes. Rainfur gasped in surprise, and warmth filled up in her.

"Froststar!" She purred with delight. It's been so long!