Chapter 13

"Rainpaw," a soft mew made Rainpaw jump. Who?

"Froststar!" Rainpaw sighed, happy to see her mentor.

"Rainpaw, I want to give you your warrior assessment today." Froststar told Rainpaw seriously. What?

Rainpaw's jaws gaped open in surprise, "me? Today? I'm going to be a warrior?"

"Yes," Froststar looked proud of her. Really? What's going to be my name? Hmmm, maybe Rainheart? Or Rainwing, ooh. Rainpaw guessed excitedly.

"Do I start now?" Rainpaw asked her mentor.

"Yes, I will be watching you remember, your first test is hunting." Froststar reminded her, and Rainpaw nodded, "so you can go hunt now."

"Okay," Rainpaw ran into the woods as quick as possible, I can see a rabbit already! Rainpaw's heart pounded.

She crept forward, the wind was blowing her way, which made the rabbit unaware of her existence. Rainpaw stopped behind the rabbit, ready to pounce. Froststar's watching, I hope she approves! Rainpaw thought, happy to think Froststar was watching.

She pounced, and the rabbit gave a shriek, but was abruptly cut off. Rainpaw dug her claws in and bit its neck. I caught it! But I should catch more, maybe Froststar wouldn't be impressed.

Rainpaw sniffed the air for more scents, but before she could smell anything, a familiar voice made Rainpaw jump. "Great catch!"

"Froststar! You scared me!" Rainpaw turned around, her heart beating fast.

"Oops, sorry, but that was great!" Froststar praised her.

"Thanks." Rainpaw looked at her catch and added, "it wasn't a lot though,"

"It was perfect!" Froststar assured her, "you passed the test."

"Really?" Rainpaw stared at her mentor in disbelief. But it wasn't even a big catch!

"Yes," Froststar nodded, her eyes glittering. And announced to her, "your next assessment is your battling with Featherpaw to test your battle skills."

"Okay, so do we meet her in the training hollow now?" Rainpaw asked. Ooh, fighting! Featherpaw and I are going to be warriors at last!

"Yes, come on, let's go." Froststar padded back to camp, her tail twitching. I'm so excited!

"Hello Flowerpetal," Froststar greeted Featherpaw's mentor as they got to the training hollow. "How did Featherpaw do?"

"She did great, she caught a thrush!" Flowerpetal told Froststar. Well, for once she's complimenting Featherpaw! Rainpaw swallowed back a purr.

"Rainpaw was great too, she caught a rabbit." Froststar nodded, "let's start."

Featherpaw narrowed her eyes at her littermate. She whispered, "I'm so glad we're going to be warriors!"

"Me too! But we'd better pass this first!" Rainpaw whispered back, and crouched into the battle stances. Rainpaw darkened her gaze, and flattened her ears, the air around her stiffened. I hope we pass!

Featherpaw suddenly leaped at Rainpaw, she was surprised, but managed to get out of the way right before her sister got her. Rainpaw dodged, and twisted, rearing up her front paw to meet her sister. Featherpaw clawed at Rainpaw, this is my chance! She pounced on Featherpaw's back, forcing her to the ground. Featherpaw didn't give up, she kicked Rainpaw's underbelly. And sprang upwards, flinging Rainpaw away.

Rainpaw landed with a thump, and got up, wincing. She flung herself at her sister, pressing her paws down. Featherpaw fell limp, she's tricking me! I won't fall for it! Rainpaw knew her sister was just trying to fake it. Rainpaw pressed down even harder. Featherpaw tried to leap upwards, but failed, although she did make Rainpaw release her grip a little more.

"Okay, you two did great!" Froststar stopped the two fighting cats. Rainpaw released her grip on Featherpaw, waiting for her to get up.

"You two passed." Flowerpetal agreed.

"Really?" Rainpaw and Featherpaw both asked, eyes wide. Wow! We're going to be warriors!

"Yes, you two should go rest now, you'll need your energy for your vigil. I'll do your naming ceremony at Moonhigh." Froststar told the two apprentices.

"Okay," Rainpaw replied grudgingly. I feel like I could run through the whole forest in a heartbeat! But she made no protest.

"Willowpaw! I passed!" Rainpaw rushed into the den to meet her best friend.

"Really? That's great!" Willowpaw didn't show jealousy at all, "I'm so proud!"

"Thanks," Rainpaw licked her chest fur embarrassedly. And settled down into sleep.

***

"I see you've passed!" Lightnose and Streamfur padded up to Rainpaw, who was waiting for her and Featherpaw's naming ceremony.

"Yeah! I did! I wonder what my name will be!" Rainpaw bounced up and down at the sight of her parents excitedly.

"I couldn't be more proud." They murmured, eyes shining approvingly.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highrock for a Clan meeting!" Froststar's yowl rang in the clearing.

"I'd better go," Rainpaw told her mother and father. I'm so excited!

"Okay," Lightnose looked at her lovingly, and sadness glistened through her eyes. Rainpaw dipped her head and went to join Featherpaw beneath the Highrock.

"We have new warriors to make today! Rainpaw and Featherpaw have both passed their assessment and is ready to become warriors!" Froststar announced, fixing her gaze onto Featherpaw and Rainpaw's. Rainpaw and Featherpaw exchanged a excited glance, and straightened up.

"I, Froststar, leader of RainClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices. They have trained well to learn your noble code and is ready to become a warrior in their turn." Froststar raked her gaze over her Clan, and continued. What's my name? What's my name? Rainpaw scuffled the ground impaitiently.

"Rainpaw, Featherpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to defend and protect your Clan, even at the cost of your life?" Froststar asked, and Rainapw tensed. This is it!

"I do," Rainpaw couldn't help but give a hint of excitement through her mew.

"I do," Featherpaw promised solemnly.

"Then, by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior names." Froststar's eyes glowed.

"Featherpaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Featherhawk! StarClan honors your bravery in battle, and no one doubts your loyalty to your Clan." Froststar announced. What is mine? Featherhawk is a great name! So what is mine?

"Rainpaw, from this moment on, you will be known as..."