Chapter 24

"Dewpelt!" Leafshade cried in pain and sorrow. Rainfur peeked out of the medicine den, looking away from Moonkit and Sunkit.

"He's... dead." Fernshadow murmured in grief, her eyes darkening.

"No. No. Not this soon! Dewpelt!" Dawnstar rushed out of her den, and halted right in front of his dead body laying on the ground. A moment of silence passed. "What happened, how did this happen! StarClan, why! Why right now! RiverClan has attacked, now our deputy has died, what next!" She looked up at StarClan. No response, it felt empty for a few heartbeats. No one spoke.

I know why this happened. Rainfur sighed, because of me. My destiny. It sacrificed Dewpelt, a good deputy. This is too early for me, I'm not ready yet. But I will be. Rainfur closed her eyes, sending a silent prayer to StarClan. Please, let me do well, because I don't think I can do this without some guidance.

Through the mist of grief among the clan, Dawnstar

turned and fixed her gaze on Rainfur. Rainfur tried to hide, but her leader's gaze was always following her.

"We will sit vigil for Dewpelt now, till dawn. We'll be okay, StarClan will guide us. I already have a new deputy in mind. A true loyal warrior, special in its way." Rainfur grimaced, that was her. The true loyal warrior that was special. I will do this, for my destiny.

The clan exchanged looks of surprise, thinking about who it might be, while Rainfur knew it was her.

Brambleheart padded into the den, curled his tail beside Rainfur's and whispered into her ear. "That's you isn't it? The special one." Rainfur's ears twitched.

"Yes." She sighed, flicking her tail frantically.

"Why are you so worried? You can do this, I know you can, Rainfur. Trust yourself more." Brambleheart nuzzled Rainfur's flank.

"I suppose. I'm not experienced though, I don't know what it's like! I'm nervous." Rainfur confessed, dropping her head.

"You mouse-brain! Every deputy is nervous, no deputy has had experience! They all were nervous!" Brambleheart purred, while licking Moonkit.

"They're amazing." Seeing Brambleheart licking Moonkit, Rainfur started licking Sunkit.

"I know. They look so cute."

"I want to go outside!" Moonkit had just opened her eyes, and squeaked. Rainfur's fur bushed up, that scared her.

"Me too! Me too! Why is everyone so quiet!" Sunkit bounced on his feet, about to run out of the nursery until Rainfur's tail instinctively blocked the exit.

"Not yet, Moonkit, Sunkit! Our deputy has just left to join StarClan, and the whole clan is sitting vigil. Don't be troublesome kits and stay in the nursery!" Rainfur told them off in a soft way. How could I leave them! They're so cute! No, I must, I will come back for you, little ones, until I become deputy, this cannot happen.

"Why? Where is he?" Moonkit frowned.

"He... has joined StarClan. When cats pass away, they go to StarClan for shelter and food to live a good afterlife." Rainfur explained.

"Oh, okay." Moonkit sighed, and stopped talking.

The sun was slowly creeping up from the sky. Moonhigh has passed, and dawn is soon to come. Bright orange and yellow covered the deep, dark blue night sky. Even the Silverpelt was barely visible under this bright color.

Does that mean StarClan has left us? They can't. Maybe they're just disappointed in me, I hope that's the case. I'm thinking too far, StarClan would never do that.