Chapter 19

Rainfur charged ahead with Lightnose hard on her paws, Rainfur leaped on Riverflow, bunching her muscles. Riverflow's eyes narrowed, unsheathing his claws, meeting Rainfur's attack. Rainfur twisted as Riverflow clawed at her, missing exactly as Rainfur ducked under his belly and gave it a few good swipes.

He yowled in pain and rolled on the ground wrestling with Rainfur, pushing and pulling. He's getting tired! Which means he's not going to be able to fight off more of my attack! Rainfur felt relieved as she saw Riverflow pant and slow down, taking the moment to pounce on him. Rainfur dug her claws into his fur, blood oozed out of the wound as Riverflow yowled in pain.

At that, RiverClan cats charged ahead, battling the outnumbered patrol. One of the warriors pounced on Rainfur when she wasn't watching, and another clawed on her back. Rainfur was muffled by the fur on the cats on her back and couldn't kick out her hind legs or perform any battle moves. I really hope the RainClan cats come soon! Rainfur wished so hard she thought her mind would burst.

The only thing Rainfur could do right now was try to defend herself, holding off the warriors around her when suddenly RainClan cats started swarming over the rocks on RainClan's side of territory. The RainClan cats are here! Relief flooded in Rainfur's eyes as she saw the cats.

Almost at once, the weight on her back lightened, and Rainfur saw her mother, Lightnose, holding them off, giving them a hard cuff over their ears as Rainfur gave a hard nip under their underbellies. With a painful yowl, they backed off and fled. Rainfur and her mother exchanged a nod of acknowledgement and headed into different directions. Who's in danger now? Rainfur scanned the rocks for any sign of her Clanmates.

Dawnheart was fighting a huge tabby tom and was surrounded by a brown she-cat with white splotches which Rainfur thought was Furzewing. Beside her, Willowheart was kicking out her hind paws and knocking the warrior to one side, panting. I have to go help Dawnheart. Willowheart can wait, it seems like Dawnheart needs more help! Rainfur started to run, her paws barely touching the ground as she sped ahead, charging for the tabby warrior.

Rainfur barreled into the tom and clawed furiously at his pelt. He arched his b ack in a snarl as he found he was trapped between the two warriors. Got you now! Rainfur wanted to smirk, but just as she was about to do so, Furzewing slammed into her, knocking the breath out of Rainfur. Fox-dung! I forgot she was there! Rainfur hissed under her breath and straightened up, just then, Furzewing gave a second attack. Leaping forward with her back arched, twisting in mid-air. Rainfur was almost caught by the attack, but she dodged nimbly, and heard the thump of the she-cat's fall.

Rainfur took the advantage and leaped onto Furzewing, giving her neck fur a bite, and she flung Rainfur back, yowling angrily as she clawed at Rainfur's tail, digging her claws in. Rainfur tried to shake her off, but it was making it worse. Her tail stung like fury as Furzewing fastened her teeth into Rainfur's tail. I need to get her off! Rainfur panicked, gritting her teeth, she turned around as quickly as possible and gave Furzewing a claw on her eye. She immediately let go of Rainfur as she rolled away, her eyes dropping with blood, she fled.

Rainfur turned to see the tom, fleeing into the distance and Dawnheart gave Rainfur an approving nod, and headed off. Rainfur ran ahead to see Brambleheart, squashed by two toms who were fighting side by side, each leaving a mark on Brambleheart's sides. Rainfur gasped, hurrying toward him. I'm coming Brambleheart!

Rainfur crouched down, determined not to make a sound, she pounced onto the two tom's back, shredding their pelts, clawing them away from Brambleheart.

"Together Brackenfall!" The brown tom with amber eyes yelled to his companion, trying to slash at Rainfur's belly. They pounced onto Rainfur in a sudden, for a moment, Rainfur froze, what do I do? In a heartbeat, the two toms would get to her, and she was outnumbered. But Brambleheart was in front of her in a heartbeat, defending her. No! Don't waste your life on mine! Rainfur flung herself at the toms, slashing savagely at their belly, nipping and clawing as Brambleheart bit into their fur. Finally, they drove them away, panting hard as they searched for breath.

"W-we-make-a great team." Rainfur beamed through tight breaths. We are perfect.

"Yes." Brambleheart nuzzled her gently, affection showing through his gaze.

Rainfur and Brambleheart locked gazes for a heartbeat, then padded away slowly, longing in their eyes. Rainfur couldn't bear it anymore and fled to the other side. She saw Froststar wrestling with two toms and a she-cat. Clawheart, Shrewhawk, and Morningfall. No! I have to help her! Rainfur quickened her pace, on the way, she was pricked on thorns, but she felt no pain. My leader is going to bleed to death! And I won't be there in time! Rainfur knew Clan cats wouldn't kill, but for some reason, a nagging pain filled herself with sorrow that her leader was about to die. I know it, she's going to die...

Rainfur hurled herself at the nearest warrior that was attacking Froststar, in the middle, Froststar was trapped, frantically clawing her way out, but the warriors just bit her flank and kept her in. She's like prey that's being tortured! Rainfur's eyes widened in horror as she saw the tricks the RiverClan cats were pulling on their leader.

"Froststar!" Rainfur shouted, giving a signal to Froststar. I'm coming, but I know it's no use... oh StarClan, is this her destiny? Don't take her away, please! Rainfur clawed at the cats, and kicked out her hind legs, tripping two of them. Clawheart growled, getting up to his paws as he fought with Rainfur. He's tired, but so am I, will I win this fight? We're outnumbered! Rainfur observed, slashing at the sleek black tom.

Her enemies' weight loosened as she found that Willowheart was beside her. "I'm here to help!" She panted, clawing at the warriors. Clawheart yelped as he saw Willowheart and fled as she bit hard into his scruff and flung him away.

Rainfur nodded, and turned to face Morningfall, twisting and turning. Willowheart was beside her, clawing at her nose. At last, Morningfall fled, giving one last snarl at them, but could do nothing since she was so tired.

Shrewhawk's eyes widened as he saw his companions fleeing back to their camp and shrunk. He straightened up a little, and growled. We're going to get you now! Rainfur was more confident, I'm fighting for my leader you know! She and Willowheart clawed and slashed at him in rhythm, driving him off in no time.

Froststar! Rainfur hurried to see her leader, who was curled up in a ball, blood oozing out from every wound.

"No!" Willowheart seemed like she had just found out her leader was there all along.

"Rainfur," Froststar rasped, her eyes fixed on Rainfur's.

"Yes Froststar?" Rainfur put her muzzle closer so she could hear.

"Go tell Dawnheart, tell her that, I'm in StarClan." Froststar's mew was barely audible.

"No! You won't die! I'm going to take you back to camp, now!" Rainfur was frantic now, trying to lift her leader. Willowheart sat aside, her eyes filling with sadness.

"No Rainfur, it is my time, StarClan is here to welcome me now, go tell Dawnheart now." Froststar looked straight into her eyes as the silence dragged on. No... No! This can't be happening! Rainfur stared at her leader in horror.

"I will," she choked out. Willowheart's eyes watered, and Rainfur too, blinked her eyes rapidly, trying not to show weakness in front of her leader.

"Good," Froststar's eyes flickered, and her eyes turned black, the light out of her eyes.

"No!" Rainfur wailed. No! No! No!

Willowheart looked at Rainfur, and her gaze met hers.

"Froststar, she's dead, isn't she?" Willowheart choked out, and Rainfur knew Willowheart already knew the truth.

"Yes." Rainfur replied anyways, still in shock. We won, but now Froststar is dead, how will life go on now? We'll have a new leader, yes, but it won't be the same!