Chapter 26

"Will she be okay?" Rainfur's eyes glittered with worry as she looked at her leader, Dawnstar. She had fought hard in the battle, but got many bad injuries. I hope she recovers, otherwise I'll be one step closer to being a leader... and I'm not ready for that yet.

"I'm not sure. She seems to have an infection on her hind leg. It's soon to be greenleaf, and greencough will be coming. It may affect her too, I'm afraid." Cloudheart's mew was taut. Amberfur didn't speak, just stared at Dawnstar with concern in her eyes.

"Will she recover, though?" Rainfur repeated.

"It will depend if she gets another sickness or not." Cloudheart's gaze wavered.

"Okay. I know you're trying your best." Rainfur sighed, looking at her sleeping leader. She had a lot of new scars on her face, and cobwebs seemed to be everywhere. I just hope she doesn't get greencough. It can be quite dangerous. Especially for Dawnstar.

"We always do." Cloudheart replied without hesitation. "But sometimes, our attempt isn't good enough to save the cat." She mewed solemnly. Is she hinting that they're attempt to save Dawnstar isn't going to be enough? Rainfur stared at Cloudheart, then shook her head in disbelief. No, I mustn't be pessimistic.

"I understand." Rainfur dipped her head respectfully. "Please tell me when she wakes up. I would like to see her."

"We will." Amberfur spoke.

"Thank you." Rainfur murmured, and left the den.

"How was Dawnstar?" Featherhawk asked.

"Not great." Rainfur sighed.

"Oh. That's not good. What happened?" Featherhawk frowned.

"She had so many scars everywhere! Cobwebs were just covering her injuries barely. Dry blood was all over her." Rainfur told her, shaking her head.

"Oh StarClan. I hope she's okay." Featherhawk's eyes widened.

"Me too." Rainfur raised her muzzle up to the sky, hoping StarClan would hear their prayer. Please, StarClan, save Dawnstar. She perked her ears for an answer. None came. Sighing, Rainfur lowered her head.

"Well, let's not think about sad stuff, let's go share some prey!" Featherhawk tried to be enthusiastic, but through her eyes Rainfur could tell she was as worried as Rainfur was.

"I suppose." Rainfur followed her sister to the fresh-kill pile. Perhaps some fresh-kill will make me feel better. She didn't think so.

"Squirrel?" Featherhawk asked.

"Sure." Rainfur didn't feel in the mood to speak too much. She bit half-heartedly into the prey. It tasted like nothing. Bland and boring. Featherhawk seemed to be enjoying it though. How can I enjoy prey when I have things to worry about? Rainfur sighed.

"Are you not going to eat that?" Featherhawk stared at the morsel of prey left in front of Rainfur.

"You can take it. I'm not hungry." Rainfur nodded.

"Okay, whatever you like." Featherhawk gulped down the prey immediately and cleaned her paws.

Rainfur stared at the clearing with all her clanmates. This was going to be her Clan soon.

******

"Rainfur?" Cloudheart walked up behind Rainfur solemnly.

"What happened?" She spun around to face the medicine cat.

"I'm afraid Dawnstar is getting weaker and weaker. She told me to call you." Cloudheart told her. No. She can't be. Rainfur stared at Cloudheart.

"I'll go see her." Rainfur started walking to the medicine cat den. As soon as she got close, she heard Dawnstar groaning.

"Dawnstar! It's me, Rainfur. Cloudheart sent me!" Rainfur stepped inside the medicine cat den and called softly.

"Rainfur! Good. You're here." Dawnstar purred, but she was rasping instead of talking with her usual bright voice.

"Why did you call me to come?" Rainfur asked, concerned as Dawnstar started to cough.

"Rainfur... I'm afraid that the infection may be getting worse, and it may start stripping away my last four lives." Dawnstar rasped, looking into Rainfur's eyes seriously.

"No. I refuse to believe that. Amberfur. Cloudheart! You have to do something! She can't die yet! Not yet!" Rainfur started to panic, they must be able to do something. I'm not ready yet! I'm not ready! She started to back away.

"We've tried all we can, but it's getting worse and worse every day. She seems to be catching greencough too. A weak cat like her can catch a lot of sicknesses when we're not careful." Amberfur shook her head sadly.

"Try. Please. I can't become a leader yet! I'm not ready!" Rainfur stared at Amberfur in disbelief.

"That's what every deputy says when they become leader." Dawnstar purred. "You'll do fine. I'll try to heal, but I'm afraid it might be it as soon as I catch greencough." She paused, her eyes filled with worry as she gazed at Rainfur. "You'll do better than me. I can feel it."

"I'll try." Rainfur sighed, "rest well." She told Dawnstar softly, and left the den. Please. Don't catch greencough. StarClan, you must help!

"I'm afraid we cannot. This is your destiny, and you will have to bear the pain of losing your leader. We will guide you, but you must face this alone. StarClan cannot change a cat's destiny, but we can guide them to the right path." A voice rang into Rainfur's ear. Who is it?

"Who are you?" Rainfur echoed her thoughts.

"I am Rain Fall. You know me as Rainstar. You will be the next Rainstar, and I am glad to hear that." Rain Fall purred.

"Rain Fall? Oh! I've heard many stories from you! Are you the cat that started RainClan at first?" Rainfur asked in surprise. I'm meeting the first ever leader of RainClan!

"Yes. I am, indeed. My Clan has formed well. It has been an honor to be the first leader of this Clan." Rain Fall nodded.

"A pleasure to meet you!" Rainfur purred.

"You too. I will guide your paws. You will become a great leader. Dawnstar will soon die, and you will become the new leader." Rain Fall assured Rainfur.

"Thank you. I am not afraid anymore. I will try my best to serve my Clan the best possible." Rainfur purred.

"Very well. Then I will see you soon. May StarClan light your path." Rain Fall purred, and mewed farewell. Rainfur found it quite honorable that she had just met RainClan's first ever leader, but also quite weird. She no longer felt afraid. New energy poured into her muscles, and she felt strong and new again, no longer worried about things that were to come. I will serve this Clan the best I can with my very last drop of blood. She vowed silently.