30 - sunshine

dear malia,

i slept over at the hospital. i didn't want to leave josh. and i most definitely do not want him to leave me.
the nurse came in earlier today and told me that josh lost a lot of blood. he said that he's fine.
"will he wake up soon?" i remember asking.
the doctor shrugged. "honestly, i don't know. at the moment josh is in a coma state. i can't predict when he will wake up but let's just hope it's soon. hang in there, kiddo."
i remember smiling at him weakly before he left the room. happy on the outside, dying on the inside.
i walked to the side of his bed and climbed in, cuddling up to him. i ran my fingers across the scars on arms, exhaling.
"please be okay." a tear ran down my cheek. "i can't lose you, josh. please. wake up for me. wake up for mom and dad, even if they're totally asses." i chuckled a little, then began to cry.
"you mean more to me than you think," i told him. "i always thought that malia was my sunshine. that she was my everything. and i love her. i love her with all my heart. she's the most beautiful girl in the universe and she can light up my whole day by just existing. but you. . . you're there for me. you're always here to protect me, to make me laugh, to give me advice. . . you are my everything, josh. you're my sunshine. and i don't want to lose my sunshine. i can't lose you. not now, not ever."
tears were smeared on my cheeks, for i continuously wiped my eyes, trying to stop the tears, as i talked to a lifeless, motionless body.
"please be okay."
and that was all i really  wanted.

truly,
hannah