28 - day off

dear malia,

josh called the school the next morning letting them know i would not be attending for we were taking a day off.
josh cried a lot during the day. i felt bad. i was never really close with lila, but josh most definitely was. and josh, not only did he lose the love of his life, but he also lost the baby inside her, which would soon grow into a human being whom he would love just as much as he loves lila.
"josh. . ." i sighed. "let's go somewhere."
"i just want sit here," he said, letting out a sob, "and cry until i run out of tears."
"well that's a little depressing, don't you think?" i said, chuckling, trying to lighten the mood. "um. . . okay, well, i'm going to go grab some food from kfc across the street, you want anything?"
he shook his head.
"okay."
as i made my way to the fast-food restaurant, i hummed a tune.
i entered kfc and waited in line until my turn, ordered what i wanted, paid, then made my way back to the motel with a to-go paper bag in hand.
"josh?" i called when i didn't see him in the main room. "i got you some fries because i knew you'd end up wanting something. i know you." i laughed to myself.
"josh?" i said. "josh, you in there?" i knocked on the bathroom door. when he didn't answer, i turned the handle to find it was unlocked. i opened the door and couldn't believe my eyes.
this could not be happening right now.

truly,
hannah