39 - awake

dear malia,

it had been a week since you called. i missed your voice.
a nurse came in and gave us the full rundown of how he was doing. "he's doing much better," she told us. "josh is reacting well to the fluids and medications we gave him recently and the results are great. i wouldn't be surprised if he woke up. although, you will have to be aware that there are side effects, i've talked to you about this before," he continued, saying that last sentence to my mum.
"yes, we have." she nodded.
"josh has lost a lot of blood, which may be hard to deal with, so if he ever feels light headed, give him water to keep him hydrated and we have some pills he'll need to take twice a day," he explained. "i can refer you to a great therapist and psychiatrist to help him through this, as well as any of you or your family if they choose." he continued explaining everything to my mom and me but i was barely listening. all i could think about was josh waking up.
"thank you," mum said. "thank you very much."
the nurse smiled before exiting the room.
my mum turned to me and grinned.
"he's gonna wake up," i said excitedly.
"he might."
"still!"
mum laughed. "i know, i know!"

-
an hour and a half later, mom and i were laughing and chatting about all the wonderful things we were gonna do when josh woke up.
"oh, darling," mum said, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear. "this is all going to be so worth the wait."
i smiled and looked at josh. i stood up from the window seat and walked over to josh.
"hi, josh," i said smiling. "you're gonna wake up and it's gonna be so amazing and we're gonna have so much fun. i miss you so much."
mum got a call from dad and they talked for a bit. she let me know she was going home for the night.

"okay," i told her. "i'll call you if anything happens."
"okay," she said, smiling. "see you later." she kissed my forehead and walked out the room.
i took josh's hand in mine and squeezed it. i climbed into bed with him and cuddled up next to his body.
i stayed like that for a while and as i was about to get up, i felt a hand pull me closer.
i froze.
"josh. . ." i looked up. his eyes fluttered open. i swung my leg over and squished him.
he grunted, letting out a little laugh.
"you're here," i said, grinning.
he mumbled a response not being able to speak yet.
"oh my gosh, hi." i giggled.
malia, josh was awake.

truly,
hannah

A/N this is not my favourite chapter, but josh is awake! yay!
I hope you're liking this book so far. There's still more to come :)