44 - worrying

dear malia,

it's been two months, three days, one hour, 24 minutes, and 11 seconds since we kissed at the party. not that i've been counting.
you don't really talk to me anymore. i don't know why or if i did something wrong. and i hope everything is okay with you.
i've noticed that you've hardly been showing up to class again these days. i see you sometimes at lunch. you're smoking with some not-so-nice looking people.
what am i saying? it's none of my business what you do or who you associate yourself with. i'm just worried for you and scared that something might happen.

it was a tuesday when you finally showed up to class and sat beside me and opened your mouth and spoke words to me.
you said hi, and just as i opened my mouth to reply, you spoke again. "i know what you're going to say. you're worried about me, but just stop, okay."
"i'm sorry."
you sighed and just shook your head. "i'm fine. i don't need you worrying about what i do and who i talk to. it's my life."
i nodded. "i know," i said because i did. i knew that you could do whatever you wanted with whoever you wanted and i didn't get any say in it because it is your life and you get to choose how you wanna live it. i knew that, i really did, but i couldn't just stop being worried.
"i'll try," i told you, "to stop worrying."
you nodded and whispered a thank you.
i noticed your eyes had bags under them and your hair was sloppily pulled back out of your face. but to me, you were still the most beautiful girl i'd ever laid eyes on. you would always be so beautiful to me.

truly,
hannah