Chapter 24.2 'To infinity and beyond'(つ﹏⊂)

******

NEVAEH.

They say the test is simple. All I need to do is stay seated in the chair when they push me into the water.

If only they could hear themselves.

I basically have to drown. I have to let myself sink to the bottom of a lake, and -actually I have no idea what is supposed to happen after that.

Killian and I see the clearing of the lake up ahead, but as I get closer I can't seem to shake an uneasy feeling.

My aunt Cosma had said that the trial is supposed to awaken abilities or something. It isn't that I doubt that its just that I don't understand how this all came to be.

I don't understand how my parents started a rebellion, died, and still I never knew about my aunts. Or the rebellion. Or how messed up society had to be for people to risk everything and revolt.

I never loved the grey society or bowed down to it, in fact I planned to leave - we all did. It never occurred to us though that everything would go down this way.

Once you graduate from schooling, and finish the tour, you get fitted for a career and live. Well that is what we were told at least. I'm beginning to think there's more to it, that there is a bigger reason to why everyone here at camp has chosen to fight. Why my parents did.

"How are you feeling dear?" I reach the shore, and sit in the chair; Delilah in front of me bent over the chair tying the rope around my wrists.

I half smile to aunt. "I could be better."

Her face is tight with tension, but her eyes are soft. "And you will be. Make sure you fight okay? You are more than your fear, you are made of stars so don't let anything extinguish your light."

What exactly happens during this trial I ask

Her mouth a thin line Everything she states.

I notice the rest of the elders circle around the lake and my chair pushed into the lake.

******

The first thing I notice is my ability to breathe underwater. The water seems to envelope around me, creating a bubble.

At first everything is warm. Blue. The sky shimmers through the first layer of water.

However the water gets colder and colder the deeper I go, and by the time I lose feeling in my feet and my vision gets blurry.

My curls float in front me, my eyes get heavier and heavier.

The chair hits what I assume is the bottom of the lake and I slip into a deep sleep.

******

Mari we have to go.

I'm sitting on the couch staring at the holo tele when familiar faces walk out from the kitchen area.

I know Atreus, but I can't just leave her.

The lady walks up to me and crouches down to face me.

Her face blurs.

Nevaeh sweetie, I need you to know that mommy loves you very much okay? No matter what.

I nod my head and see tears well up in her eyes.

I love you so so much. 'To infinity and beyond'. She quotes from her favorite movie she watched with me growing up.

She sniffs, and try to wobble my small legs off the couch to no avail. I reach my arms out instead ti hug her.

Her arms wrap around me tightly. She kisses my forehead as she gets up and moves to the doorway across the room.

This time I do get up from the couch to try and catch her.

A pair of hands grab onto me and pick me up from behind though.

They turn me around and hoist me into their arms.

My dad's face, blurred, smiles at me.

With tears streaming down my face he looks at me and kisses my forehead too.

My little Semayi. He hiccups.

I try to talk but my throat closes up.

I love you. And I will always be here for you he says as he pokes both my head and heart.

Always.

He spins me around, I can't help but feel like this is going to be the last time he does that. After gently setting me down on the floor, he reaches for something in his bag slung across his shoulders.

Brings his hand out in front of me, and holds out a closed fist. Slowly he unclenches his hand to reveal an iridescent mini sun catcher. It was the size of a pebble with a string running through it.

He placed the necklace on my neck and hid it under my shirt.

Don't let anyone take away your light sweetie, keep it with you wherever you go. It's super important, and you will need it one day to save -

Atreus. They're here. My mother whispers as she peeks through the windows, grimacing. The panic on her face clear, but the determination shines brighter.

My fathers eyes go cloudy, and the tears dry. He sets his forehead against mine for a second, then gets up and moves to the doorway.

I want to go with them, wherever they're going but I know that won't help so I open the floorboard underneath the couch and step into the hidden room, just like they practiced with me before.

I pause with the latch slightly creaked open, just enough to peek through.

My parents open the door but look back just before they leave and smile sadly, their eyes a deep sadness, and hardness there. Their faces I realize aren't as blurry as before, because now I can see every detail of their face.

They turn to leave and a bright light envelopes the entire room.

******

I gasp for air and quickly sit up.

The room is silent with no one else in here with me. I blink to focus a bit more, and take a minute to breathe.

A quiet chime goes off and I hear footsteps get closer.