Chapter 9.

Killian's POV

They're insane. Absolutely insane. I know the rules and tradition but this- this is just a whole new level of madness. They say the test is to see whether they're worthy. I can't believe they're doing this again, after what happened last time... I'm not just going to let this happen, not again.

I dove into the water, knowing the elders weren't going to be happy about this. The water was deep, but I could see her. Her cocoa skin was glowing in the water, with the sun's shadow illuminating her face. She was already losing consciousness, so I had to move fast. I untied the knot holding her hands back and took hold of one, to push her body into my arms. I carried her out of the pool and laid her down onto the surface, on the edge of the pool.

That's when I saw her eyes. Her hazel eyes were looking straight at me and for a second I forgot everything. I forgot what I had just done. I forgot the elders. Hell, I even forgot who the fuck I was. All I knew, was her. She was all I could see. And just like that, everything rushed back in.

"Got yourself in trouble there, huh?" Nice one dumbass.

She responded with only a nod.

Alright I'll bite. "The name's Killian. You're welcome."

I reached my hand out for her take. She declined the gesture and got up on her own. I glanced towards the elders but was surprised by their departure. On the way out, the last one gave me the sharpest glare, implying that this wasn't over.

"Who the fuck were they?"

"So, she does talk after all." She met my remark with a face of steel. "I was beginning to get worried for a moment there."

Again, I was a met a with silence and a frown.

"Sigh, I guess shouldn't be surprised a voice that beau- "

"I'm going to interrupt you with my previous question. Who the fuck were they? And a follow up because, well I think it's very important that I know this. Where the fuck am I?

"That's quite a mouth you got there, newbie. As to your questions, the they you are so nicely referring to are the elders. Now the follow up question has a much more complex answer, one that can only be acknowledged by a tour of the grounds.

I started to walk away as if to begin the tour but turned around at the exit of the indoor pool to catch her staring deeply into it.

"Anytime today would be fantastic newbie." I say.

"It's 1202." She states.

The comment seemed to snap her out of whatever trance she was in, but I couldn't figure out the feeling behind the look in her eyes. I want to know though; I want to know everything about her. And as we walked out into the quiet sub level floor of the base, that feeling only intensified almost as if it were a bond. This feeling scares me shitless.