Chapter 5.

Evie walked into the room and shut the door quickly, she had a smirk on her face which means she's definitely up to something.

"So, are you getting ready?" she asked as if I knew what she was talking about.

"For what?"

"The party Neveah, you know the tradition and all that." Evie says exuberating excitement.

"Damn sounds nice but I've got things to do, so I can't go" I look for things to do by opening the journal they gave each of us for notes on the trial.

"Oh, really Nevaeh, and what do you need to do?" She crosses her arms.

I fall onto my bed and lay there for a second, and then I sit up to start to write in my journal. "Well first I have to write some thoughts I have on the Nova and then I have to take a nap. After that I might just explore the ship and get a snack from the kitchen, of course before curfew, later I'll read a book and fall asleep." I look up from doodling in my journal to see Evie very annoyed. "Well you did ask what I had planned Evie."

"1202 if you don't get your head out of your ass right now, I will literally shove it out of there myself."

I look into Evie eyes and begin to laugh so hard my entire body shakes and I can't breathe anymore. When I finally manage to open my eyes, I see her on the floor crying with laughter too. We finally get it together after 5 minutes of pure laughter.

"The theme for the party is a festival, there's going to be a Ferris wheel and everything. Even a psychic will be there, and you know what that means." She says with a whole look of mischievousness.

"I'm not going to do that. You are going to have to drug me and take my limp as shit body to that psychic to get me there."

"Or you get drunk, honestly I'm fine with either way."

Evie really does scare me sometimes.

"I don't drink, Evie and I don't know if I still want to go anyway."

"Well first let's get you ready and if you still don't want to go eh, we'll see."

The time it took for Evie to get ready was absurd. I didn't take long to get ready because after debating the outfit I chose with Evie I had finally convinced her to let it go. The festival wasn't something I wasn't super thrilled about, but I was intrigued. My mom was into a lot of spiritual stuff when I was a kid, so she would always tell me stories about magic and things like tarot cards.

Evie finally ready, walks out from the bathroom. "Alright let's go have some fun!"

The room was colorful, a complete understatement but the only word I could muster to describe what I was seeing. The festival was filled with zooming hovercars and augmented reality ads. The glasses we were given through the booth at the door to help us see them no less. The only thing that wasn't from our time being the Ferris wheel. The line to the wheel itself stretched all the way across the room. There isn't much that dates back to the old world. The books disappeared and so did all the history that came with them. Over time the cultures faded as we developed societies on the 8 planets. The regency took power long before my time or my parents but there are some elders that still remember. Not of the old days but the days when the regency first took power. Elders live in their own district barrier cities. It isn't allowed to visit them without permission, but there are whispers now and again. 

The room was blaring with instrumental music, the type with a whole lot of bass and not much else. There aren't music lyrics that are allowed unless it speaks of the regency and how great it is. "1202, get over here!" Evie, already across the room, gestures at me to come over where she is. I pretend I don't hear her and begin to walk past her to try to find the bathroom, which is just maybe the only place I will be able to hear my own thoughts. I spot a hallway, and as I'm walking through it that's when I hear someone say something with an uncanny voice. "Would you like a reading?"